Thread where actuaries diagnosis medical issues

I have white coat hypertension. It’s always in a normal range when I give blood, but is more like 120/80 at the dr’s office.

1 Like

i always viewed 120/80 as normal. :woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s the beginning of the prehypertension range.

I want to contribute! For like a year now (rough estimate) my shoulder has been hurting. Like the tendon (I’m not a doctor, so I’m just guessing here) that I can push on the outside of my shoulder. It hurts when I do pushups (or similar movements). It’s not like a sore muscle pain, it’s kind of like a sharp something’s wrong pain. I maybe should go to the doctor for that…

Three days ago my wrist started hurting. It’s on the outside (opposite side of my thumb) right between that round bone that pops up and my hand. I’m assuming my body is going downhill due to sitting at a desk all day.

Do I need to go see a doctor, or can I just ignore these things (my standard method) and hope they go away?

If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got. (Or maybe slightly worse over time due to aging.)

I mean, it’s worked for me so far… I’ve dealt with the shoulder, but my wrist has been more prominent. I think I’ll probably go see my PCP and ask about both issues at once. Two for one!

Impingement - probably PT

if it keeps you from doing something you want to do, get it fixed, otherwise, live with it

A few years ago I got this around this time of year (actually, it was more in the backside of the hand)…for me it was the extra pressure on the carpal tunnel of love since I do almost all of my work on the keyboard…rather violently at times…and I do a lot of it at this time of year.

It’ll go away when you rest your wrists.

odds are, you are not doing your exercising in your normal manner, compensating for the shoulder, and your wrist is taking extra pressure. Give it a rest

to me that phrase sounds like it was caused by too much masturbation

2 Likes

I got physio for my shoulder; it helped lots!!!

This is what you were worried about? Up to 120 is totally normal. Over 160 is where they put you on meds. You are most definitely not dying.

2 Likes

My diagnosis is that your ego is severely bruised. Perhaps if you put on clothes when you work out, the ladies won’t giggle at you.

Maybe you can get your wife to help you with that sort of problem . . . I apologize in advance for the small edit in your post, but that’s how I keep reading it

2 Likes

No, it’s just that I love my work so much I’m willing to endure physical pain to bring value to the shareholders.

2 Likes

I was under the assumption your doctor had told you that you have a reason to be concerned about your BP levels.

My father has high blood pressure and my readings are similar to yours when I visit my doctor, and he hasn’t indicated any reason for me to be concerned. My BP also has been consistently in this range for the last 15 years. My doctors knows about my family history, too. He sucks, but he would say something to me about it if he was worried (probably right before telling me to lose some weight).

My BP has always been left of the bell curve. 100/60 is normal for me and sometimes it’s enough lower than that to make them take it again and/or ask “you ok?” :joy:

Once I mentioned to my then-husband that it was like 90/50 (ish I don’t remember) that day and he responded “That’s practically DEAD!!!” :joy::joy::joy: thanks honey. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I saw the numbers at urgent care and then brought it up with my primary to see if I should be worried. I don’t remember it being that high before (my HR is always high though and he’s never concerned about that while every other doctor I see likes to point it out to me).

I’m a bit hypersensitive to this change because it’s burned in my brain that Venlafaxine can raise your BP and should be monitored - plus the dose I take is really, really high.

1 Like

I was going to comment if @BruteForce ‘s wrist issues were due to, um, Charlie horses but I see I’ve been ninja’d.

I’m supposed to be doing physio therapy stuff on my eyes every day for 20 minutes. It’s not going well, I’ am not doing it frequently enough. : unhappy :.

2 Likes

I’m sure that a lot of people’s bp are elevated in that situation.

I see blood pressure as a metric the same way that I see insurance claims as a metric for whether or not to increase/decrease/leave-alone rates.