Thread where actuaries diagnosis medical issues

Sounds like the vapours!!! Do you have a fainting couch handy??? :wink:

I’ve had mono. It was the sickest I have ever been in my life. There was no doubt that I was sick with a severe virus. Fever, vomiting, aches, extreme lethargy. It wasn’t a “little bit” of anything. I couldn’t get out of bed. It was like the worst 12 hours of a bad case of the flu extended out to 8 or 9 days.

I am going to guess sleep apnea based on originally listed symptoms. A sleep study may be warranted.

For me it wasn’t a “little bit”. I had crushing fatigue accompanied by lightheadedness where I could not sit up for weeks for more than a short amount of time and only felt good when I would lay down. Working was almost impossible. I had to take breaks to lay down constantly.

I didn’t have those other symptoms outside of that though, but the symptom I did have wasn’t a “little bit”.

Might have not been mono, but in researching mono, the symptoms for older people who get it isn’t the same as younger people, and mono is typically a younger persons virus.

Like I said, my white blood cell count was normal. The only thing that showed up on my blood tests was slightly elevated platelets, so I don’t think that indicates mono. My symptoms were terrible though.

Oh the sinuses are definitely infected, throat/tonsils got sore and then itchy, and there’s so much mucus I have been basically choking on it.

This is what a regular cold is for me. I didn’t realize other people don’t always get sinus problems with their colds until I was about as old as I am today.

1 Like

Also confirm had mono as a teenager. It presented itself as severe tonsillitis and I couldn’t treat it with anything because it’s mono and not actually tonsillitis. I had to scrape mucus out of my throat every morning. It was sooooooooo bad. Also my spleen enlarged and I wasn’t allowed to do physical activity for a long period of time. I wasn’t the same afterwards.

Mono stays in your system for years is what I’ve heard.

1 Like

According to my last 3 blood pressure checks (one at the urgent care while I was seeing how many itis’s I could catch at the same time and 2 at home after I panicked about the first reading and bought a monitor for home) my blood pressure is like stage 1 hypertension. I’m definitely dying, right?

I knew that this was a thing that my other medications could cause, but I’ve been on them for years now and they work so what… I just keep adding pills to counteract the side effects of the latest set of pills until I’m basically Mr Burns? Or am I just a little up because I’ve been sick and mostly immobile since December?

What say you non medical doctors??

It sounds like your recent change in activity level and probably diet are more likely to blame for your hypertension. I recommend more physical activity, decrease alcohol consumption, less processed foods, and decrease salt intake before starting a new medication.

It could also be stress. I just had my blood pressure measured and it was borderline hypertensive. I’ve been feeling extremely stressed and that is the likely culprit for me.

Well, to were are all dying, it’s just a question if how quickly we are doing it, right? But what’s your blood pressure?

Data points so far - Jan 20 was 122/96

Speaking as not-a-doctor, I say that’s high enough to discuss it with your doctor. My diastolic pressure had been hovering around 80, and was often over 80, (based on a home BP cuff, but consistent with numbers I get from doctors) and I was planning on writing to my doctor about whether that was high enough that I needed to do anything. But I’ve been too busy caring for my mom to get around to that… and now I find that my BP has dropped, and hasn’t been over 80 since I started checking it again. (which I did after I got out of quarantine – the monitor was in the other part of the house, and my husband uses it, too.)

Maybe there’s something to the idea that stress increases your BP.

Lots of ways to address high blood pressure w/o resorting to (additional) meds.

The question becomes either:

• Are you willing to make those necessary life-style changes to accomplish this? OR
  • Are you willing to suffer some other “side effect” by changing the “offending” med?

Or of taking a new med.

But yes, simple stuff like exercise and diet and stress reduction can often help BP without drugs.

Yep I’m going to keep monitoring while I get the yoga/exercise started up again and see if it changes. I did chat with the doctor he just told me to monitor it for a while and then we’ll see if we need to do anything.

I should also mention that stress is indeed a factor - I’ve been having anxiety chest pains this week and can’t seem to shake it.

I’m going to put myself into an anxiety feedback loop, if I’m not already in one.

2 Likes

I thought 80 was normal. Mine varies anywhere from 60 to 90 for the bottom number. I thought 80 is normal and 90 is borderline

If you live in the UK, diastolic 60-80 is ideal. 80+ is gettin’ up there.

80 is the highest that’s considered normal. Mine often bounced above 80.

I think the US guidelines are the same.

1 Like

actually, at the dentist it was above 90, but then when i was at a doctor a few weeks later it was like 60. i’m not sure if any of theirs are wrong or i’m just wildly inconsistent.

It’s not you, it’s bp, in general, varies wildly.