Thread to discuss when the police kill a civilian

It would be nice to know how many additional people the cops killed (on top of their usual carnage) due to spreading covid through their communities.

I don’t understand that comment. Do you wonder the same thing about nurses or grocery store clerks? The fact their job cannot be done remote does not seem like something to be angry with them about to me.

Edit to add: OK, think I misread this first time - for some reason was thinking spreading it off duty, when that is not what you wrote. I don’t necessarily agree with your anger, but at least I understand it now.

1 Like

Yeah, I too wonder how they’re counting Covid deaths.

Cops and prison guards are uniquely at risk of contracting Covid on the job though. I recall seeing/hearing descriptions (some from my SS who is climbing the ranks in the police department in the medium-sized city she lives in and whose job includes dealing with Covid leave policies) of people who knew they had Covid deliberately spitting in cops’ faces to try to give them Covid.

So counting some Covid-19 deaths as duty-related is surely appropriate. Counting all Covid-19 deaths as duty-related is surely inappropriate. Especially among unvaccinated cops who contracted Covid-19 more than 6 weeks after becoming eligible to be vaccinated. Figuring out how to differentiate between duty-related and non-duty-related Covid deaths seems near-impossible.

Since they probably get extra benefits for duty-related deaths, my guess is that they err on the side of counting it as duty-related unless it can be proven to not be duty-related. Whether that amounts to calling 100% of Covid deaths as duty-related or not, I couldn’t say. It easily might since it would be difficult to prove the negative.

Cops are definitely in a job with high potential exposure to COVID. I don’t particularly mind those deaths counting in line of duty stats, but I’ve seen the higher death rate in the line of duty for the last couple of years be attributed to “the war on cops” or some equally disingenuous cause.

3 Likes

Cops shoot and kill a kidnapping victim (and the subject of an amber alert) as she is running to them for help.

Oh my God, that might be the worst cop shooting ever. Although it sounds like it was messy. But ugh, just ugh.

I think i read she was a sloght, 5’1" 15 year old girl.
I have no idea why the trigger happy cops just shoot anything that moves.

Well, i guess i know.

I’m afraid to watch the video.

The video in the link is a cop briefing the press. It’s not visually gruesome.

The cop’s version is that the father / suspect had been shooting at the cops for miles, a second police car joined the pursuit and was also shot at and I think the second vehicle was disabled, and then more cops joined by the time they all stopped.

When they stopped a “subject in tactical gear” got out of the front passenger seat and in the firefight both the subject and the suspect were hit and the firefight stopped and the cops rushed in to render medical assistance.

They learned after the firing stopped that the subject in tactical gear was the teenage girl who was the subject of the Amber Alert. They claim they don’t yet know whose bullets hit her, but it seems unlikely (to me) it was the father / suspect. I assume forensics will be able to answer that definitively at some point.

1 Like

Probably belongs in the gun violence in America thread too, since there is nothing more American than a pickup-truck chase shootout with lots of handguns and rifles and a teen girl in tactical gear.

Sadly yes.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this or not.

Citizen receives award for being good Samaritan and saving someone’s life. After receiving the award, he takes off his sweatshirt, exposing a shirt that says “Smash White Supremacy” and then uses his acceptance speech to complain about all the cops(9 cars) that ignored him when he was asking for help, trying to save someone’s life. He comments that cops do not make him feel safe, as they ignore him when he needs clearly nees help.

https://twitter.com/HeadlinerClip/status/1581361479760384000?t=xCVXaZu0wAWVuqzVORSoqg&s=19

saw that clip. dude was prepared and steady in the delivery. he mentioned (in slight defense of the 9 cars that drove past) that they were still likely concerned with an active shooter situation. but yea. and the chief (or whoever) handled it pretty well too.

1 Like

One county over. Unreal.

The article states that he was fired for violating use of force procedures. He didn’t activate his camera. He was cleared of everything else procedurally and not charged with any crimes.

The cops who screwed up this case were the ones who got the warrant. They got prosecuted appropriately and/or had their law enforcement certifications revoked. The entry team was told they were going after a violent felon and came under fire upon entry.

Also not a neighboring county, but still close.

1 Like

That was a long time ago, but my recollection is that both the resident and the police officer were acting totally reasonably in shooting each other, and the underlying problem was that a “no knock” warrant was issued at all, made worse by being for the wrong address.

Well, that and that both police and citizens in the US are routinely armed with guns.

Moved