Thread for silly or stupid stuff you do

Whatever they were up to, I’m down for it.

They are just trying to get a rise out of you.

1 Like

Instead of making puns, you could just take flight, you know. You could probably run away faster than Bannister.

Was at the grocery store picking up some tuna and a couple of rolls for lunch. went thru the self-checkout line; only two items.

When you scan in the rolls, ithe screen asks how many. Out of habit I entered (1).

But here’s the thing. I lied. I had two rolls.

My mind was elsewhere and I usually only ever buy one roll, so I guess I’m conditioned to just hitting (1) roll.

As I was exiting the store, the lady watching over the self-serve lines asked to see my receipt. Which obviously showed only a single roll paid for.

I had to wait around for 45 minutes for the cops to get there and for them to issue me a citation with a court date of May 12 for shoplifting!

Not really. I explained that I wasn’t paying attention and hit (1) by accident.

They were very understanding. I paid the extra $0.72 and went on my way. A little embarrassed but no worse for wear.

I pretty much refuse to show my receipt. If they catch me failing to scan correctly and correct me at that time or have other specific evidence that they want to provide to me as to why they want to check my receipt, I would probably let them check.

I did walk out the other day having failed to scan a bag of tortilla chips. I had 3 bags of different kinds or brands of chips and failed to scan one of them. I put each item scanned into a bag and when I got to my car I realized one of the bags of chips was not in a shopping bag.

I didn’t go back in because on other occasions I have failed to grab the last bag that I put things into and arrived home to realized that I left something at the store that I had paid for and felt it too big a hassle to go back to get the stuff. In fact, there have been times when I have asked for cash back and left it in the cash dispenser usually not more than $20 and never gone back to get it.

Overall, they are way ahead on my ineptitude as a checker at their store.

Well, someone is, but I doubt the store is pocketing your cash. And there’s a good chance another customer is ending up with your food.

I once walked out of a store with a popcorn popper that I hadn’t paid for. I had gotten into a conversation with the checkout lady and she had moved it from the one end of the checkout to the other so I put it back into the cart to take out to my car. I also bought a new coat that day. I wasn’t paying attention when the price came up and I scanned my card. Alarm went off as I was exiting the store. Customer service manager came over checked my receipt and took the scanner thing of the coat. When I got home I realized that the receipt didn’t have the popcorn popper on it. I went back in the afternoon after the kids got home from school. Showed them the receipt and the popcorn popper box (I’d already used the popper!). It happened to be the same lady who checked my receipt in the morning. She went and got the store manager who shook my hand and gave me $5 off. I could have gotten away with the theft but it wasn’t intentional and I would’ve felt guilty every time I made popcorn.

Well, I almost always will hand any items left at the checkout stand to the worker, either groceries or cash. I don’t take those things because a) I try to be honest (well we all know how that works) and 2) I’m worried the person is going to come back asking for it and if their bagged items are in my cart or their cash is in my pocket I would be way too embarrassed.

Probably mostly 2 but some a. I don’t intentionally shoplift. Mine is more accidental and ineptitude.

Size matters to me in these situations.

A $3 bag of chips I’m probably not going back even if I noticed it in the parking lot. A $20 popcorn popper, I would probably go back even if I had reached home.

again, not a silly thing I did, but my son got to act out a meme.

He works drive-thru at fast food store. One weekend night he’s taking orders and a driver pulls up and wants his online order. “I’m sorry, sir, we don’t have an online order.” Driver proceeds to argue and berate for a few minutes. My son remains calm and finally says, “Well, we don’t have an online order for you. Would you like to order now?”

Driver. “I guess. I need two Red Robin burgers.”

Son: “Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

8 Likes

Red Robins have drive-thrus?

Not the one’s around here.

And I’m guessing that the driver doesn’t know either.

1 Like

Drive-thru, no. Pull-up-to-the-curb, yes.

For the lazy people.

son asked me who i thought our nfl team would have available at the 21st pick in the draft from the guys ranked in the top 20. so i went to a draft simulator and simulated…250 drafts and saved the names of the guys from the top 20 who were available at 21 from each.

six guys never make it, always drafted before 21. 5 guys make it single digit number of the 250 trials. no shock, the guys “ranked” 19th and 20th by that site make it the most often, but for some reason 15th is the 3rd most common. took less than an hour thanks to multiple tabs and some efficient shorthand.

1 Like

That’s a lot of work to tell him: “Got me. I have no idea.”

1 Like

And everyone during pandemic.

Not me. I simply go into the store and get what I need.

Congratulations! You, sir, are exceptional.

I (alone) like to think so.

(Plus, I’m chubbier than I’d like to be, so the extra exercise helps a little)