The Kids Thread

Yeah, the way some people do math in their heads (including me) is pretty bizarre to a lot of people. My spouse has mentioned this before when I mulitiplied something and told her how I did it.
I think it’s likely just using patterns for simplification whereas other people just use algorithms that don’t scale.

1 Like

So, do y’all’s kids have signatures?

My kids (ages 10 and 13) had to sign their passports, and they both just printed their names. I had to tell my older one to add his last name.

They never learned cursive, so it makes sense they can’t really sign, but had not really thought about it until then.

1 Like

Nope. My kids are apparently going to learn cursive in school, but I have no reason to believe either one has already learned it.

I don’t know that I had a signature until high school. I knew how to write my name in cursive, yeah, but I had to write everything in cursive so it was still me just writing my name.

1 Like

The school our daughter is attending teaches cursive (there are legitimate reasons for teaching it in this day and age including tracking physical development and hand-eye coordination).

Our little ones latest attempt at 3.5

5 Likes

Me: I made you some PB&J! <3
Kid: I do not find this bread very convincing.

They grow up so fast.

2 Likes

Mine is 6, so no. I don’t intend for her to learn any cursive. But I expect she’ll write some cutesy shit for her name, assuming that those kinds of form still exist when she’s an adult.

What skills are worth teaching to little kids?
Reading? Math? Writing? Science? Typing?? Spanish???
Making friends? Empathy? Telling jokes?
Bike riding? Scootering? Sports? Music?
Cursive?

Ignore The Man.
Avoid The Man.
Fight The Man.
Be The Man.

If it was rai-SIN bread, I’m backing your child on this one.

Bit older than a lot of kids in this thread, but my son and his GF are currently completely tearing apart the downstairs and rearranging furniture, I guess to make it more longterm for his GF. Turns out the crap that my son had to have forever, can get tossed as soon as his GF wants a spot for her sweaters.
And they’re getting rid of the desk I bought for him to study on some years ago that’s never been used for anything other than collecting dirty dishes. So that’s nice.
The place is still a catastrophe, neither one of them are neat (spouse and I keep the rest of the house tidy and mostly uncluttered) but at least it’s clean and a bit more condensed.
Aand now they’re screaming with laughter downstairs. Nice to have that.
Also, his GF is growing on me. I sometimes say ‘no’ to random things. LIke, his gf walks in and says Hi! and I say “NO”. Anyway, today I asked her something and got a blunt ‘no’ to a question that wasn’t a yes or no question lol.

4 Likes

daughter tells me that 4 act sci students from the local U program came to discuss actsci as a major/career in her calc class.

i asked if she mentioned “my dad is an actuary.” or asked “do you know these profs, who are my dad’s friends in the math/actsci dept?”

she did not make either statement. that failure to interact with humans suggests perhaps she is on the path to actsci already!

5 Likes

I started teaching my 7 and 5 year old daughters chess, which they’ve been very enthusiastically into thus far.

1 Like

Mine has never cared for it, except as an excuse to get me to play with them afterwards like dolls.

Might be because she has almost unlimited access to video games…

Just gave my daughter orgo chem for babies and Pythagorean thm for babies in prep for the next generation.

1 Like

I liked neuro networks for babies.

Which might come in handy when GPT-20 goes crazy and enslaves everyone.

Oh God No! My tiny kid discovered the comment section of Khan Academy, and wants to farm likes for a badge.

Too soon! Too soon!

2 Likes

Her (iirc) influencing career has just begun!

She became an edge-lord at 6 and has been getting danker ever since. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I discovered today that my kid still has no idea what things might sink or float.

The intuition that small things must float and big things must sink is like absurdly powerful.

Obligatory Monty Python and the Holy Grail vid:

3 Likes