The Kids Thread

Fun fact:

I bought her a 3000-piece lego set for her last birthday, which will finished it just in time for her birthday.

2 Likes

I was ruffling through this storage space we have upstairs for my grandfather’s old chess set to teach my kids chess when I discovered the giant plastic bin of my old legos, which ended up being at least as good a find as the chess set.

7 Likes

You could always make Lego chess pieces

3 Likes

My son tried to get dressed with boxing gloves on today. The pants went….okay. I had to intervene after one arm was struggling through the sleeve hole.

1 Like

My son wrote two poems for me. Can’t post the acrostic because it’s based on my own name, but this one was presh.

4 Likes

working a baseball tournament with my daughter (we both umpire).

she overheard one of the players say “this ump has the same mechanics as one of those other guys. it’s crazy!” she figured out I was the other umpire. (mechanics is stance, signaling, etc.)

she had a tough game friday. said one of the jarhead coaches (this is u11) rubbed her wrong after a mistake and started questioning all subsequent calls, she was just mad. i had a game w that team yesterday and the guy tries to make nice w me. “Hey Blue, i really appreciate your work here! Really solid. We had a rough one last night.” Unimpressed I told him, “yeah, that was my daughter. she said it was a rough game.” He started stammering and tried to transition. Was happy to make him unconmfortable.

5 Likes

It’s fun seeing the cinquains that could’ve been as well! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Has work
Loves going shopping
Sometimes she annoys me
Mom

Yeah, that’s on point.

3 Likes

One thing i like to tell jarheads is that you never know whose son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, etc., that umpire/referee is. They could be standing right next to you, for all you know.

2 Likes

This is also what happens when you try to write poetry as an adult.

1 Like

Our little one is now interested in:

1. Gardening (she loves to plant and watch stuff grow)
  2. Examining bugs (or nature) under a microscope under magnification

Going to see if I can source a portable microscope for her (they seem to have good kid-proof stuff available now) so she can use it when they go to the Botanical Gardens & Forest School.

1 Like

My 7yo wants to go to Las Vegas to visit some thing called mega mart and made a joke that he could gamble there, too. I said he was too young to gamble, and he said “that’s not true. People gamble away their time every day.” I asked him where he heard that, and he said he just thought of it. Guess he is wiser about some things than I am.

2 Likes

Went back to this. I’ve been feeding her a lot of hints since she makes no progress on her own. Ie. What happens if we cut this soap in half? What about small rocks? What about logs? How much does water weigh?

It’s an incredibly hard problem for her, even with hints. Today she was arguing that water can’t be weighed. Similar to air or fire.

I pushed back that a cup of water weighs something. And so we weighed it. Then we tried pouring water on the kitchen scale directly. Which worked, sort of.

She finally realized the real problem: “that you can’t have 1 water or 2 waters.”

She eventuality offered drops as a unit of measure, with a drop weighing a gram or so. I asked her what if you had many drops together. She said you could call that a “spilling”. 70 drops = 1 spilling.

1 Like

You folks are teaching your kids how to think critically. Meanwhile I just sent this video to my daughter whose pregnant with our first grandchild.

I feel like my grandkids will be working for your kids.

1 Like

My mechanic BIL did a similar thing for my daughter… ended up having to put away the toy car because it was a bit of a safety hazard, although she loved played with the radio

The little one graduated to a higher tier swimming class.

She is doing great at 3.5

2 Likes

Bought a travel chess set to play with the little one.

She is developing pretty quickly now so its seems reasonable to start introducing her to chess.

1 Like

I found it easy to teach my kid the rules to chess, but hard to interest her much in the game.

(Also hard to interest her in board games, although that might actually just be me.)

She runs around on the playground. It’s time to go home.

I"M TIRED. It’s soooo far away. I’m going to sit down.

She sits on the ground for 5 minutes, gets up.

I NEED TO PEE! I almost had an accident! Carry me. You’re faster than me!!!

We walk quickly together for 10 seconds. There is a jingling in the distance.

ICE CREAM? I want ice cream! Do you have your wallet??!!

1 Like

I never understood how anyone enjoys chess. My dad taught me when I was young, the rules are easy to learn, but I don’t like it. Strategy games in general bore me.