The Daylight Savings Thread

What the f*** does that mean?

1 Like

Has anyone posted this yet?

2 Likes

Big fan of the extra daylight in the evening. Would be in support of year-round DST.

DST change-overs do not affect me, my sleep schedule is inconsistent so I don’t notice it, but I get that some people do. More than anything though, what really grinds my gears is during DST when people write “EST” instead of “EDT” for eastern time, or whatever time zone you happen to be in. I’ve already seen it happen this year!

3 Likes

Oh, my gears are so ground because of this that they’re smooth circles…I’ve usually seen it done by HR people for companies where I’m interviewing, so I feel compelled to not say anything which just grinds them even more.

My sister happens to work in HR for some hvac company, and I complained to her about it once. She replied that she often gets it wrong, too, so she generally leaves off the middle initial…because, let’s face it, it’s extraneous information.

Does Arizona stay in Mountain Standard Time or do they refer to their time zone as Pacific Daylight Time during the summer months?

Officially MST. But it’s often easier to just say PDT.

They stay in Standard Time. Yes, it’s equivalent to PDT, but Arizona (the state) does not refer to themselves being in PDT.
Now, what might happen is that CA (and then the rest of the Pacific states) gets moved to MST forever, as some past passed Proposition states (I think). Congress has to approve that, and the President has to sign it.
Now I read that the deadline for CA state legislature to pass something has passed. Turns out the bill needs 2/3 to pass, and too many legislators want PST permanently, not MST permanently, as the Proposition implied that it wanted. Back to the drawing board.

I’ve seen a lot more of dropping the middle letter and just saying ET, CT, MT and PT.

In that case Arizona would change their timezone from MT in the winter to PT during the summer.

I have actually been the jerk that points it out a few times when people have written MDT while it was MST. I make sure I point out, I just want to make sure I show up at the right time.

Year round EST user here for EaSTern time.

Anywho, fixed six different clocks Sunday morning. One in the car, two alarms, two ovens, one thermostat.

I mean isn’t the daylight savings time the standard during those months?

I knew there was one I was forgetting . . .

Fixed oven and microwave clocks yesterday, only to have to fix them again today after a brief power outage. And our office changed the time of their staff meeting tomorrow to 8am. :sleeping:

There are petitions all over the place. I haven’t verified if these are “current” but they are the first that come up on the googols:

End Daylight Savings Time | MoveOn (addressed to el presidente Trumpedo)
Petition2Congress
https://www.change.org/p/congress-end-the-time-change-choose-one-standard-time-and-stay-with-it-year-round
https://www.change.org/p/eliminate-daylight-savings-time

And this is why our semi-annual time changes need to end. It disrupts coordination, which is the whole point of keeping time. Most of the world does not observe DST. And countries that do adopt it do so on different days.

This means for a few weeks each year there is total time chaos. People on the East Coast can’t remember if Europe is five or six hours ahead anymore. It wreaks havoc on the airline industry, costing them hundreds of millions of dollars a year in non-pandemic times. JP Morgan estimates consumer spending drops 3.5% every year we return to Standard Time. There are also more heart attacks, strokes, car accidents, and depression.

And for what benefit? None I can think of.

1 Like

Also, I think many other countries do it because we (giant economic power) do it. If we stop, I think a lot of other countries will do so as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I kind of recall reading that it was the railroads that pushed for uniformity in when everyone went on/off DST. They were going nuts trying to create accurate schedules when every town went on/off DST differently.

We have a clock at my office like this, but they just leave it wrong for four weeks a year and it’s right the other 48 weeks. :woman_shrugging:

Argh, that’s why it was cold when I got up this morning! Stupid daylight savings time! :angry:

I think for the lazy folks, ET works always. EST is something different, and not always correct.