The covid virgins club

it seems highly possible to me that this person who was maskless caught covid at this specific event, while you did not. Yeah, the incubation period is short for this one, and I think you’d have symptoms by now. N95’s are good.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. That’s what I am telling my mom :grinning: Time will tell.

1 Like

if you do have it, for people who are otherwise healthy, omicron is the one to get. it will likely be annoying, but you’ll come out fine.

i don’t think you have it at all though.

In reality, it’s probably closer to 2/3rds of Americans have gotten it.

2 Likes

Last I checked, the CDC estimated that we’ve identified appx 25% of cases. I was looking at the NYT data recently and doing some bar napkin math and thought maybe 60% of us had covid to date. If anyone has a better guess I’d be curious to hear it, mine is not terribly well informed.

Of the people I know in real life, less than 50% have gotten a confirmed or highly suspected case, around 40% or so. But I don’t know that many people and a lot of us are overly reclusive right now. So something north of 50% feels right.

1 Like

of the fan family, my sister might be counted in the stats because she contacted her doctor to get counted. that is assuming her doctor even reported it to the right people. my father likely wasn’t counted. he caught covid in march 2020, wasn’t tested because they didn’t have tests in nursing homes, but we knew it was covid and was later confirmed via an antibody test. my mother likely also wasn’t counted. she tested positive on a home test, called her doctor, but her doctor was pretty incompetent in even getting her prescription filled, so i have doubts he contacted the right people.

so, based on my family, it’s 75%, all contracting it independently of each other.

regardless, it’s definitely higher than 1 in 5, at least in NYC. 2/3rds wouldn’t surprise me. throw in families where only one person gets tested and the others just assume, it’s got to be really high.

3 Likes

I feel like I know about 10 positive cases among the family, friends, and coworkers I most frequently talk to (15-20%?). My kids say that they are about the only ones in their school that have not had COVID. I can average those metrics and get around 60%.

You can estimate “% ever infected” on this website → https://covidestim.org/

It doesn’t have a national breakdown, but you can look at it by state and county. And just looking at each individual state, the vast majority are > 70%.

I don’t know their algorithm, but probably some combination of number of raw positives and test positive percentage. I am guessing they don’t account for multiple positives by the same person though, so that is probably a flaw. And it gets a bit wonky in places where cases are super duper high. For example they have Miami-Dade county 98% infected, which I find hard to believe.

2 Likes

Me too, afaik. Though my kid is in school.

They are fighting it, but it’s a losing fight imo.

I doubt that, my guess is 30-50% based on bridge players (some, maybe 1/10), Sunday school (maybe 1/3), close family (none), and co-workers (only know of 1).

I’m still a covid virgin with the first two shots despite a 10-day europe trip, visiting all state parks in Iowa, regular weekly home bridge games and regular in-person sunday school during covid. If I could go back and do it again, I might have traveled MORE not LESS.

I actually wonder if we should all return to life as normal and let COVID run its course. I hope that doesn’t sound morbid, and I don’t wish COVID-related deaths on anyone, but I think a lot of people are living a diminshed life being cooped up so much. It’s sort of like is it worth raising the speed limit to 80: more people will die but others will save time going lots of places.

what isn’t normal right now? i can basically do what i want. a lot of people choose to avoid covid and stay isolated though.

This is the quote I was thinking about. My mom also doesn’t like to go out much.

My kid’s elementary school was “virtual” last week. And she has been wearing a mask whenever she goes (which whether you think is “harmful” is certainly abnormal).

1 Like

Thats great and all, but I would bet every dollar I have that more than 50% of the US has got Covid.

1 Like

Fixed, so you don’t lose every dollar you have.

2 Likes

We discuss, CDC listens

1 Like

hmmmmm, 80%? seems high, but plausible.

It’s not COVID :party: