The covid virgins club

Itchy lungs was the first symptom I had the last time I had influenza (Feb 2020). Take a deep breath, and for some reason, a light cough seemed to be in order. Just one, not to produce anything at all, it just sort of felt good I had the same feeling a few times a couple weeks ago around the same time I had a bit of a dry throat.

I think I was fighting off something those couple of days.

twig, remind me, how long after exposure did you first experience phase 1?

Ok, Iā€™ve been antibody tested a couple of times at the blood center, when they were looking for convalescent plasma donors (they were doing free testing, so why not).

So far, Iā€™ve tested negative.

I mean, if I get COVID with ambiguous symptoms, and it confers no meaningful lasting immunity to me, then it would just be a matter of trivia as to whether I got it or not. I was just wondering if there was a way to distinguish getting it from having had vaccines.

1 Like

About a day & a half.

If the worldometer site is to be believed, 1/5 of Americans have acquired Covid. Iā€™m fairly out and about and donā€™t really take any Covid precautions anymore.

I think itā€™s higher than that, at least in NYC. I think itā€™s way under reported between at home tests and people not testing at all after one person in their household tests positive.

3 out of 4 of my family tested positive at some point while none of us lived together, nor contracted it from each other, so based on the fan family itā€™s 75%. Me being the only one not to get covid so far.

Wow, fast. Interesting that you tested negative when you had symptoms.

I was exposed Wednesday and tested Thursday early afternoon and was negative. I developed symptoms Thursday evening. My positive test was Monday morning. I was not feeling up for leaving the house to get tested from Friday - Sunday. And even Monday, Hubby drove.

That said, Hubby developed symptoms Sunday evening and tested negative Monday morning. Then he tested positive Tuesday morning.

Yes. You can obviously test on real time, when you are infected, for the virus or parts of it, with a PCR or rapid test. But after-the-fact, you can be tested for antibodies to the nucleocapsid. The vaccines only give you antibodies to the spike protein, and vaccinated people who arenā€™t exposed to covid donā€™t develop antibodies to the nucleocapsid.

Thatā€™s how we know my husband was exposed, either when he gave blood or when he got vaccinated. Because when he got vaccinated he was giving platelets every two weeks, and the red cross was testing for antibodies to both the spike and the nucleocapsid proteins. And he tested negative, negative, negative, and then turned positive to both two weeks after his first vaccination (which was a day after his previous donation.)

1 Like

Right. Iā€™ve documented my test results here, here, and hereā€¦and, now, here, too. I donā€™t know how often this study that Iā€™m in will ask me to get tested. So far, itā€™s every three months, but n=2, so, you knowā€¦ I was tested every three months & that was my last one.

For just the N Protein? Iā€™m under the assumption that youā€™re vaccinated, and, thus, should be full of S Protein.

The only time I had been tested for antibodies, it was before I got vaccinated.

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to open up here ,Iā€™ll likely get covid in the next month or two because I want to do some outings with random strangers. A few times a year I take UW undergrads (often theyā€™re international students) out fishing or hunting.
This week Iā€™m taking two random students out rabbit hunting. In the next couple of weeks I expect iā€™ll take a couple more randoā€™s ice fishing, which involves an hour or two in a car together, then a day in an ice fishing hut. And if the temperature every goes above single digits on the Kelvin scale,I may take some of them winter camping for a weekend up north.
I donā€™t want to get covid, but Iā€™m getting resigned, and like so many, starting to think I need to get the hell out of the house and see other humans.

3 Likes

ah, you were probably positive a few hours after you tested.

1 Like

iā€™m on the fence. i think if i got it, it would be annoying, but not deadly, but i donā€™t want to be stuck in my apartment with no way to get out with my awful neighbors. it would be nice to get it over with though. if stuck here i will likely go crazy and start knocking on doors and breathing on people who piss me off with their noise.

so better that i not get it, or if i do, i get it away from home. i almost wish i was still staying at my parents house when my mother contracted it so iā€™d just have gotten it from her while still there and been done with it.

Yeah, itā€™s odd. Since I was waiting for results after a known exposure I didnā€™t leave the house. Butā€¦ tested negative then positive.

I canā€™t believe I still fall into this category. I feel like itā€™s only a matter of time.

2 Likes

Still a part of this group. The weakest link in our chain is having 2 kids in school.

2 Likes

I might have to relinquish membership. A close contact Thursday notified me of a positive test occurring this morning. I was N95 masked, but they werenā€™t. They might have caught it at that activity. No symptoms for me yet, but no home test available. Waiting for response from PCP to see if they want me to come in for a test or wait for symptoms.

2 Likes

Given the shorter incubation time of Omicron, you might have dodged the bullet. Wait a couple more days and you are probably in the clear

1 Like