The Attempted Coup of the United States of America

I think you should mess with Trump supporters’ heads and suggest that the Republicans that were voted in were done so fraudulently and so must be anti-Trump.

I am not sure it has not already died. Sure, we had an election, and there will be a transfer of power, but facts have become meaningless over the past 4 years, and republicans have realized all they need is for a story to be pushed on social media to change the facts. Laws no longer matter without a common set of facts.

I feel like that position would be filled by the person who receives the least votes

We certainly underreacted. I believe you about Ito, but I wouldn’t have remembered that he said or believed that. I guess he thought the author of The Art Of The Deal knows how to negotiate or something.

I think this will die out when Trump dies. There can’t be that many people out there with the gall to make up lies like him that have somehow also weaseled their way into a position where people take them seriously enough to run for President.

I would like for this sentence to be true. I am less confident than you that it actually IS true though. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

The thing you have to remember is that 40-45% of this country will reflexively vote for a Republican no matter what kind of a shitstain they are on American democracy and American ideals. They are going to scream, whine, bitch, threaten, accuse everyone else of being evil in all kinds of flavors. Ignore them, do not cower to their bellicose attitudes and their belligerent rhetoric.

We can never let them hold power again. They have to get voted out of any and every office, and kept out permanently. They have shown they will be complicit in the subjugation of freedom for nothing more than fear of being mean-tweeted, getting a primary challenge by a shitty opponent, not getting some cushy job post-Congress, not getting invited to some country club party, and so on.

Only when the Republican Party is wiped clean of these seditious bastards can we think about allowing them back in - and even then, only when those people actually hold conservative values that support the ideas the Founding Fathers fought for. Only when those people are willing to engage in open, honest conversations that truly try to further the best interests of all Americans and not the best interests of themselves and a narrow few.

This will not be a short battle. This will take years, maybe even decades. But if we want a well-functioning America for generations to come, this is a fight worth waging and worth winning.

Oh I’m all for having people own the whole DJT debacle, I was merely making the joke that shit licker sounds like a role one would seek to not get, thus if you get the least votes you’re stuck with it.

I do think it can be challenging though, like I’m all for villifying Rs as a party and I’d love for them to implode and start fresh without the wanna-be traitors and all but I also pause with some of the super left stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I’d vote for a trash can (or even Ted Cruz) over DJT because of a list of red lines he can’t even see in the rear view mirror anymore, but I don’t think I’d, for example, be vilifying Mitt Romney or John Kasich as R party members if they’re up against Sanders, for example.

1 Like

There is a Fascist wing of the Republican Party. It includes the current outgoing President and at least half the Republicans elected to Congress in the last election.

1 Like

The Natives are growing ever more restless…

Last week, an “enemies” list of state and federal officials who rejected Trump’s baseless election conspiracy theories floated up from the dark corners of the Web, with home addresses listed and red targets over their photos, the latest in a string of threats to public officials.

Yeah, I get it. I know people that are a lot like Donald Trump, but everyone else thinks they are A-holes and liars. Honestly though a lot of Trumpkins would have said the same thing about him every single day of their life until 2016 though.

That’s easy @OldTimer - take away their toys.

Fight to make elections secure. Picture IDs at the polling place. US Citizens only. Signatures audit for absentee ballots.

Yep. Require every citizen must register to vote just like selective service and paying taxes. Make polling locations more common than McDonald’s. Keep local and states in charge and require an auditable paper trail with every election.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what would be your estimate of the total number of illegal votes (non citizens, dead people, rogue voting machines) cast in this election?

That seems more like “validating the use of their toys” than it does “taking away their toys”.

2 Likes

Less than 10,000 most likely less than 1,000.

1 Like

Who is “they”?
The enemy?

1 Like

I don’t believe that fraud changed the result of this POTUS election. I’m also not naive enough to believe that election fraud doesn’t exist. It always has. It’s always out there. And the mere whisper of it is enough to cause people to begin to doubt the validity of an election. But none of that matters.

The question was “how to save democracy?” Take away the toys. Don’t let anyone, I don’t care which side of the aisle they’re on, don’t give them the slightest thread to start pulling. If they have a thread to pull, pull it they will and the sweater starts to unravel.

Can you explain this further @soyleche ? It seems like you’re inviting election shenanigans by reducing the controls.

This is like sitting in the play room with the kids, Joe brushes Fred as he walks by.

Fred: Dad! Joe hit me!
Me: No he didn’t.
Fred: Yes he did! He punched me in the face!
Me: I saw what happened - he barely touched you, and not even on purpose.
Fred: Did too! Did too!
Me: Fine. Joe - go to your room.