Thanksgiving plans

Working today.

1 Like

Canadian Thanksgiving is more low-key than its American counterpart. Folks may hop in the car for short trips to visit family and friends but we don’t have mass travel via airplane nor shopping madness like the US Thanksgiving. October Thanksgiving is a reflective time in Canada.

As someone who grew up on a farm, it is also a time to revisit my roots as there is still harvesting going on in early October in Canada whereas the fields are pretty barren in late November. It is easier to get into the “grateful for the harvest” mood this time of year. The tree leaves are changing colour and it is warm enough still to be out to enjoy them. A good time for a long weekend. :canada:

I’m in the bush in Northern Ontario. We are having a full turkey dinner tonite along with grouse. Got a mess of pike as well but I think we are having them tomorrow.

1 Like

Whelp, I’ve invited the relatives over for turkey day.

2 Likes

people need to stop celebrating with turkey, the least tasty poultry there is.

Duck is 1000x times tastier. Goose too.

Even chicken is better.

1st of all, you are correct.

Secondly, turkey can be delicious if it’s prepared well.

See…

More specifically, see…
https://archive.ph/YuOQi

Most specifically, see…

Poultry breast is inedible. And turkey has so much of it.

Absolutely not.

I celebrate my birthday with duck, and New Year’s with goose. Chicken is a staple.

I eat turkey once a year, and once a year, i enjoy it. It’s gotten better since i started buying pastured heritage breed turkeys.

And poultry breast is fine if you avoid over-cooking it.

2 Likes

do you have a goose recipe? I also need to find a place that sells goose. Wonder if wholefoods has it. Wholefoods has frozen whole duck.

Northern Ontario in October: the fish are biting and the black flies aren’t. Perfect. My mouth is watering at the thought of your pike feast.

2 Likes

I used to agree with this. Now, it’s my favorite part.

1 Like

I stab the skin hundreds of times with a sharp fork. Then i stuff the goose with a mixture of wild rice, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and celery, and fresh cranberries. I start the oven on high to brown it and begin to render the fat, and after the skin colors, i turn the heat down and cook until it’s done.

The flesh is fairly forgiving about the final temp. But don’t forget that the interior temp will rise as it rests, so you don’t need to over-cook it to pasteurize the stuffing.

When I’m feeling ambitious, i start the goose on its side, and flip it to the other side after ~20 minutes, and then flip it to its back when i turn down the heat. This produces more crispy skin. And the skin is the best part.

I use a rack to keep roasts off the roasting pan. And for goose, i remove the fat from the pan a few times. The fat is excellent for cooking vegetables and making popcorn.

Please change thread name to Thanksgiving Flans

4 Likes

I have always been your biggest flan.

2 Likes

… pudding … something about pudding …

3 Likes

You should put him in custardy!

2 Likes

Thanksgiving dinner at moose camp in northern ontario, smoked turkey and grouse. Cranberry sauce was to die for, I think he added cinammon and something else. No veggies for me, all killer no filler.

Pic shows the two uwaterloo students I brought along this year, plus a third who’s working up here who dropped by camp for Thanksgiving (he’s gone backwoods camping with me before).

I let the students rip around on my atv. The fellow from Taiwan got so far then turned around because he was worried about getting stuck. The Arabic fellow hit the atv in front of him because he was driving with one hand, recording a video with the other lol.
Cold and bleak in the bush right now, feeling like snow. Parked in a meadow til dark, freezing my ass off waiting for a moose to saunter by.

4 Likes

Like and subscribe for more pics of men living in tents who haven’t showered in a week.

2 Likes

Great now I know what you look like. You’ve ruined my mental image I’ve conjured up for you.