GoA Recipe Book

Post here recipes that you want to be able to look up no matter where in the world you are…as long as you have an internet connection.

A re-post from a different thread…

I archived the entire AO recipe book. I didn’t know how else to do it, so it went like this:

AO recipe book
Page 1 - Fleischküchlein, Jello & Applesauce, Quiche of Death, Tongue-in-Quiche

Page 2 - French Quiche

Page 3 - cobbler, Salmon & Mustard Sauce

Page 4 - Bacon Peanut Brittle, Feta Artichoke Dip, Danish Dapples

Page 5 - no recipes…just witty commentary

Page 6 - Smoky Pork Tinga, Pecan Divinity, pot roast, Stuffed Green Peppers,

Page 7 - Chippers, Granny Lady’s Chili, Asian Ginger Dressing

Page 8 - crystallized ginger, Cauliflower and Broccoli Salad

Page 9 - Turkey Egg Salad, Peanut Butter Ice Cream Delight, Broccoli Leek Soup, Egg substitute, Lasagne, Kung Pao Pork, Chicken Pasta Alfredo, Moroccan-Style Chicken And Potato Stew, Gravy

Page 10 - Creamy Turkey Chowder, Bacon & Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, Banana Cake, Cream Cheese Frosting, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, Fake Chicken Cordon Bleu, Spicy Squash Soup, BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken, Cheese Potato Casserole, Pork Spring Rolls

Page 11 - Double Chocolate Truffle Triangles, Omenahyve, popsicles, Glögi, Grandma’s Strawberry Whipped Dessert, Couscous with Feta ‘n’ Tomatoes

Page 12 - Pleasant Pork Chops, Bacon Explosion, pork chops in the crock pot, JMO’s Honey Raisin Cake Recipe

Page 13 - Slow Cooked Barbecued Country-Style Ribs, Pork Chops for the Slow Cooker, Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, EVOO potatoes, Grandma’s Pork 'n Beans, Grandma’s Potato Soup,

Page 14 - Super Win Gnocci, Brian’s Pepper Steak, Crockpot Bacon and Cheese Chicken, Cheeseburgers for the grill,

Page 15 - Citrus Basil Lentil Salad

Page 16 - Bruschetta, Chicken Breast Fillets with Red and Yellow Peppers, Pineapple Delight, Lemon-Basil Beet Salad, watermelon salad

Page 17 - Pesto Gnocci, chicken involving bacon, fruit dip, Chipotle Portobello “Burgers”, bacon wrapped turkey

Page 18 - ice cubes, Collard Soup

Page 19 - Jack Quesadillas with Cranberry Salsa, Almond Turkey, Peppermint Candy Cookies, Chocolate Chex mix,

Page 20 - SamChevre’s chicken salad, Chicken Salad, Arrabbiata Sauce, Martha Stewart Spice Cured Turkey, Chicken and Couscous Salad, quinoa black bean salad, Progressive Sunshine, Bacon

Page 21 - French Toast, Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches, Hot Fudge Sauce, Beer-Batter-Fried-FITB, Oven Baked Ribs, rib-eye steak, Mac & Cheese with peas, Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs, green beans

Page 22 - Asian Sweet Chili Sesame Chicken, Baked Grape Tomatoes with Basil Cornbread Crumbs, crispy roasted potatoes, Pork tenderloin rub, Chicken Cordon Bleu

Page 23 - Red Curry Soup With Chicken and Rice Noodles, Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash & Quinoa Recipe, Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce, Herbed Chicken Legs, bbq sauce, hamburgers, potato salad

Page 24 - French Dip Sandwich, Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich

Page 25 - Hunter’s Stew, Chicken Piccata

Perfect moose liver:
Cover liver in milk, let stand in fridge overnight.
Sauté onions in butter until soft.
Remove onions.
Drain liver. Coat in flour salt and pepper.
Cook liver without turning on medium high until bottom is well browned.
Turn once, add onions back in.
Cook until desired level of pinkness is obtained.

I thought I remembered sharing more recipes in that thread, but perhaps I shared them in the many other food threads there instead. I know there was a crockpot thread, an OM NOM NOM thread, and a smoking meat thread, and probably others too.

That chicken piccata one I shared above is a very good one if you like that meal.

Hmm, I’m pretty sure i shared some recipes that didn’t make that. I wonder where. I guess i should do it again. Look for 3 bean soup, maybe roast goose with wild rice stuffing.

I also had some recipes somewhere on the AO. Tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, my thanksgiving Turkey, and a few others. But not in that thread apparently.

I made this the other day. Pepper steak ala BG’s mom.

It’s not like the pepper steak you get at the local Chinese takeout.

3 cans Campbell’s Beef Consomme soup
2-3 large bell peppers (color(s) of your choice; I use 2 green and one red)
1 large onion
1 - 2 lbs of cheap cut of steak (the flavor comes from the broth and veggies, not really from the steak. I use whatever’s on sale. This week, I used London broil)
Corn starch
Cooked rice

Instructions:

Brown steak until cooked medium rare to medium, let rest
Roughly chop peppers and onions; I like large chunks
After steak rests, cut into bite-sized pieces
Put steak, veggies and soup into a pot, bring to a boil
Reduce heat, cover and simmer until veggies are tender (30-40 mins)
Whilst broth is cooking, prepare rice, 1/2 cup cooked rice per serving
During last 5 mins of cooking, mix 1 tbs corn starch and 1 tbs wate rto form a slurry. Add slurry slowly to broth, stirring. Do this once more. This will help thicken the broth.

When done cooking, add rice to bowl and serve broth and contents over rice.

Note: you can add more or reduce the slurry depending on how thick you want it.

You can refrigerate or freeze leftovers (I keep the rice separate though-can always make more rice). Broth will thicken slightly.

MAJOR NOTE: Soup has gelatin added for those with that particular diet restriction

I got this recipe from a doctor I worked with years ago, it was his (Mexican) mother’s recipe. Really amazing fried tacos, or if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of frying a bunch of tacos you can just use store-bought shells. I’d never thought of putting cloves in tacos but it makes them savory, and this is where I learned that beef bullion also adds a nice kick to Mexican food.

Beef Tacos

Meat for Taco
3 lbs of extra lean ground beef

2-4 whole cloves
6 pieces of whole cumin
1 heaping tsp of whole peppercorns
2-4 garlic cloves
<all of the above are hand ground together in mortar and pestle (or Mexican molcajete)>

1 heaping tsp of beef bouillon

Salt to taste

1 large white onion
3 medium to large tomatoes

Grind the whole spices and set aside.
Chop onion and tomatoes and set aside

Add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and brown ground beef on med/high heat. Once the beef is browning and starts to release juices add the ground spices with a little water. Add Knorr Suiza
Add the onions and saute for about 5 min
Add the tomatoes and saute for about 5 min
Salt to taste
Reduce heat to low simmer and leave for about 10-15 min.

Let cool or prepare the day before and refrigerate

Preparing the Tacos
Buy a large packet of corn Tortillas (the meat recipe will produce approximately 40-60 Tacos
In a griddle or non-stick skillet heat the tortillas until soft and pliable (you will have to flip them at least once)
Heat about 9 at a time and stick in a tortilla holder or in a folded cloth to keep warm and soft
Put the meat filling into the tortilla and fold in half. Be careful NOT to overstuff. You then have to close the tortilla with FLAT toothpicks they require 3. I start in the top middle and then do the ends.
Prepare 5-6 then put into the hot oil. Deep fry turning every once in a while until golden. Then put into a colander standing up to let oil drain out.
Its better to have 2 people doing this. One stuffing the tacos and the other frying.
Do not attempt to stuff more than 10 tacos and keep them aside - the tortilla will become to soft and break open while frying

Once ready to Fry Tacos
Heat Oil in Pan (Canola or Vegetable is fine - fill pan a little less than 3/4 full)

Serving
Remove the toothpicks
Use your favorite fillings/salsa - typically lettuce, sour cream, cheese and salsa. My dad and I like fresh chopped white onion as well.

extra lean? gross.

I often sub Jamaican Allspice for cloves

I don’t use extra lean. I got that recipe in an e-mail years ago and that’s what he specified.

I stole a salad recipe from a local BBQ place. I’ve had some similar salads before but I think this one is really solid.

Field greens
Tomatoes - usually cherry tomatoes for me
English cucumber
Red onion
Dates - they use figs but I prefer dates
Candied pecans
Blue cheese - I prefer the cheap stuff for this salad and skip the Roquefort
For the dressing, they use more of a honey mustard balsamic, but I prefer Ott’s brand honey mustard. YMMV.

You’ll have to figure out the ratios, I just prepare everything and let folks build to taste since my wife hates blue cheese and my son hates onions, etc.

1 Like

Sounds good. Other fruits I think would taste good in this beside figs/dates: grapes, dried apricots, mandarin oranges.

I like onions, but I get the hate. Raw onions can be overpowering. One thing I do to mellow raw onions in some recipes is to rinse diced onion in water.

1 Like

What about raisins? Asking for a friend that’s totally not @Breadmaker

1 Like

He’d still probably eat that if served up by his favorite barista

2 Likes

Your wrong.

Your wrong to.

Recent recipes I’ve used recently and liked…

Slow Cooker Soup Beans And Ham

Cornbread

Grilled Marinated Vegetable Kabobs

These were good and pretty healthy, too:

• 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil or vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • large pinch of cayenne powder
  • ¼ cup cilantro, chopped

Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:

• 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  2. Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 3 equal wedges, for a total of 6 wedges per potato. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add oil, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, and cayenne powder. Toss to combine.
  3. Line up wedges in a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the largest wedges are tender.
  4. Meanwhile, make the honey mustard dipping sauce by mixing together dijon and honey in a small bowl.
  5. Top potato wedges with chopped cilantro and serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.

This was good. It went well with a side of green peas.

The directions & notes are at the link above.

To avoid the soy, I used coconut aminos which probably made it a little sweeter.

Over the weekend I made some pork ribs in the oven…it was costco-sized, so I used two different rubs on different slabs of meat…I also made parts of it with & without bbq sauce. My preferred bbq sauce is Triple Crown (classic)…which has a slight spiciness to it unlike other bbq sauces that I’ve purchased from the store.

Of the two dry rubs, I preferred this one (recipe-only here). I liked it the same whether it had bbq sauce or not.

This one (recipe-only here) was less preferred. It was a little spicier. Interestingly, I preferred this one without bbq sauce.