Thanksgiving plans

You should put him in custardy!

2 Likes

Thanksgiving dinner at moose camp in northern ontario, smoked turkey and grouse. Cranberry sauce was to die for, I think he added cinammon and something else. No veggies for me, all killer no filler.

Pic shows the two uwaterloo students I brought along this year, plus a third whoā€™s working up here who dropped by camp for Thanksgiving (heā€™s gone backwoods camping with me before).

I let the students rip around on my atv. The fellow from Taiwan got so far then turned around because he was worried about getting stuck. The Arabic fellow hit the atv in front of him because he was driving with one hand, recording a video with the other lol.
Cold and bleak in the bush right now, feeling like snow. Parked in a meadow til dark, freezing my ass off waiting for a moose to saunter by.

4 Likes

Like and subscribe for more pics of men living in tents who havenā€™t showered in a week.

2 Likes

Great now I know what you look like. Youā€™ve ruined my mental image Iā€™ve conjured up for you.

Was it something like this?

2 Likes

My brother just bought a house and will be closing in early November, will probably either end up over there with my giant ass family, or else we will just skip the big meal and do it with our immediate family only (4 people).

Thankfully this thread does not have smellivision capabilities

Your giant-ass family, or your giant ass-family?

2 Likes

Did you shoot the grouse yourself? Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™ve had grouse. I had some game bird a friend shot, but i donā€™t remember whether it was grouse or pheasant. It was good, whatever it was.

Thatā€™s a tough choice.

Yes but with an astronaut helmet.

1 Like

The students shot the grouse. I didnā€™t shoot this week, I was mentoring the students so they carried guns and I didnā€™t.
You probably had grouse. Grouse is unbelievably delicious, like chicken but tasty. Pheasant imo is meh, and I donā€™t think itā€™s native other than in the Midwest anyway.

I have never eaten grouse and would be interested in trying it.

I have never eaten mouse and would not be interested in trying it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve eaten turtle I think

I would try pretty much anything once, but Iā€™m not going to go out of my way to hunt/kill something for the opportunity, I am fine with never participating in that activity. If someone else had killed something already and offered it to me, sure, Iā€™ll give it a nibble.

1 Like

That was my motto until about age 60. I used to travel a lot to Africa in the 1980ā€™s on business and felt I needed to sample everything my hosts offered: pigeon, goatā€™s eyes (not recommended), crocodile, camel, zebra, etc. Most of it was good but I no longer agree with harvesting most of these animals.

In Canada, I have eaten wild game such as partridge, moose, venison, bison, Canada Goose (not recommended), wild turkey, etc., but in my largely vegetarian family those items donā€™t get served at home: only have them occasionally in restaurants.

2 Likes

Yuck to most of that, although I have eaten squab which I believe is the fancy name for a pigeon. That tasted fine but not very much meat there. I went to Africa once on business and 3 times for pleasure and never got offered any of those other things. I did try some South african sausages that had some game meat, which I think included some kudu.

Iā€™ve eaten turtle at least once: the turtle soup at Commanderā€™s Palace is famous. Iā€™ve also had some of the typical large game animals in the US: bison, elk, venison, boar,ā€¦never had any moose though.

Another weird meat Iā€™ve eaten: piranha. We caught them and the guide had them cooked for us.

I like to try new meats. In addition to beef, pork, lamb, chicken, and turkey, Iā€™ve had turtle, crocodile, alligator, kudu, springbok, some other antelope, warthog (not recommended), wild boar, deer, reindeer (not recommended), moose, elk, bison, ostrich, duck, goose, afore-mentioned game bird, squab, and a lot of species of fish.

I expect the sale of many of the meat offerings I had in Africa in the 1980ā€™s is now banned, and rightly so. I just went to the website for The Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi, where I sampled a variety of African game in 1981, and they now only serve farm animal meats plus crocodile. I recall crocodile tasted like chicken so it was pretty tame.