Thanksgiving 2020 Discussion Thread

Ugh, listening to people talk about their dreams is so annoying.

I once had a job where I killed mice for science. I hated the killing part. I’d just as soon pay someone else to kill my turkey, thanks. The cleaning probably isn’t any fun, either.

Anywho, back to Thanksgiving talk …

If you know people who are regardless meeting up with “too many” people, provide them with the info, and stay the hell away from them for two weeks.

Thanksgiving will be only our immediate household, just like every other COVID day.

2 Likes

It’s like corrupt a wish. Normally I’d wish we could just stay home.

I’ll probably post this in COVID forum as well, but:

How likely is it one of those 10 people is infected? That depends on where you are. Some states are estimated to have as much as an 80 percent chance of having someone with COVID-19 attend a 10-person gathering. But even if there’s a far lower chance at your individual dinner, the risk to the community of a bunch of dinners quickly becomes clear.

That’s an awkward and uncomfortable article with all the diagrams. Makes me want to close and lock the door.

Yeah, the diagrams did not make it any easier to understand. Could have done without them.

I accidentally shamed people today when talking about holiday plans at the start of a conference call today because I said we aren’t going anywhere because we don’t want to contribute to more spread, and mentioned how tired our nurse family members are. No one else shared their plans after that. Hopefully they will stay home.

They won’t. If plans have been made there isn’t much short of a positive COVID test that will change them.

Maybe a positive test in someone they’ve been in close proximity with would be enough. Not much less than that though.

You are probably right, but hope springs eternal.

we have modified our plans from staying over my parents house on thanksgiving, to not staying overnight and instead taking an uber there and back the same day.

i doubt i’m much of a risk to anyone. my only interaction with other people is at physical therapy. I mean, I guess I can catch it there, but we all wear masks and the physical therapist wears a KN95. my sister isn’t quite as careful, but she’s planning to get a rapid test before going.

and our plan now includes hiring my trumpkin uncle’s neighbor who is an uber drive to drive us back and forth. it’s costing $300 plus tolls round trip. if i wind up with COVID from the uber driver at this price to avoid it, i’m gonna be so pissed. we will all wear masks though, so probably relatively low risk. might also open the windows in the car.

We’re planning to get rapid Covid tests this week and have Thanksgiving with my in-laws. My husband is feeling like this could be the last Thanksgiving with one or the other or both of them. If somehow I have Covid and he doesn’t then he will probably go without me. This possibility seems unlikely though.

Sister-in-law is the opposite of careful though. She has mental health issues and doesn’t understand why masks are important. So if anything she will probably give it to my in-laws (who she lives with) and possibly us. We will also get rapid tested when we get home.

I’m struggling with what makes sense given the likelihood that my in-laws may not be with us much longer. Is it worth risking us getting Covid from them? How does one weigh that?

How are you planning on getting rapid tests? I’d expect that to be the plan for many people, and a long line Wednesday/Thursday for any place that has them, and a low likelihood that there will be enough tests to actually get one.

I looked into getting a rapid test a couple of weeks ago and they seem to be in short supply around here. It looked like they were mostly being saved for medical workers and such.

That may just be my locale - we are seeing a pretty big uptick in cases. I don’t know what their availability is like in other places.

My parents wanted to have a dinner. My sister is just a couple minutes from their house, and her kids are always over at their house. I’d think with our kids still attending in person school, there is a reasonable chance one of us could pass it along to them, so we declined getting together.

Christmas…I think it will depend on if schools stay in person. If they go virtual, or we decide to go virtual as an option, maybe we get together. We can have groceries delivered and pretty much stay in a bubble for a few weeks.

Urgent care usually has a line for them first thing when they open and they quickly run out of the rapid tests.

It’s late to act on this, but FWIW the Québec government, in order to get people to celebrate Christmas as safely as possible, looks like they’re adjusting they’re lockdown rules such that there will be relaxed rules for December 24-27, but tighter rules for (December 17-23) and (December 28-January 3).

This idea - going into strict isolation for the week before and the week after a family gathering – seems wise if you’re going to do the gathering thing.

(Of course, the Québec government is taking flack for codifying the observance of Christmas, but not the winterish holidays of other faiths, but discussion of that is probably beyond the scope of this thread.)