Thanksgiving 2020 Discussion Thread

That is well beyond my risk tolerance. 10 college students from different households?

I’m suspecting he dropped the /s.
IIRC, in Ontario, indoor gatherings are restricted to 10 people, and outdoors to 25.

suspect BG5150 is trolling

aunt in-law had this posted on her fb page and she “liked” it. thanksgiving should be fun…

That’s really long. The woman had a prophetic dream that the Lord commanded her to share. What was it?

I watched about half of it. In the dream Trump is killed and she’s told that he knew from the beginning that it would happen but willingly sacrificed himself and some other messiah-Trump stuff.

We are staying home for starting Monday except for essentials and then spending Thanksgiving Day with my mom and dad. Trying to be as safe as possible, but with my son playing high school basketball it’s tough.

We are quarantining, starting last Thursday. We bought all the food and medicine we’ll need until after that, and made sure we have enough toiletries and stuff.

No supermarket, no takeout, no blood donations (my husband is delaying a platelet donation).

My mom is in rehab, and can’t quarantine. But at least she won’t catch it from us.

For anyone travelling or seeing family, why not just get tested a day or two before? I know it’s not easy everywhere (we are lucky because since July my town has had free, drive through testing for all residents), but if it is, just do that. It’s painless and easy. We’ve been tested twice, once before a trip to Maine for Labor Day and once this week because the kids go back to school in person next week. I’ll go for a third time in early December before I go back to work, and will probably go every 2-3 weeks as long as it’s open or until I get the vaccine.

We’re getting together with my brother and his family, so one other household. They’re the only other household in our “bubble,” but we haven’t even seen them since July. We’re doing our normal activities (work/school at home, grocery delivery, takeout once a week, and otherwise locked down with infrequent short trips to the grocery store or pharmacy for odds and ends), but we don’t have any high risk guests coming.

I think we’ve seen through sports and the White House that testing is not the best preventative and can lead to a false sense of security. A negative test is only a snapshot in time.

But that’s all you need if you are going to go to a family event. If everyone going to Thanksgiving dinner gets tested on Tuesday, gets results Wednesday and doesn’t go anywhere Wednesday, and then goes to Thanksgiving dinner if they were negative, the risk of transmission is virtually zero.

And I don’t know what you mean about sports — the testing appears to have been a huge success in major sports except for college football (which college boys not following rules :pikachushockedface:). There has been very few major outbreaks in teams, just the Titans and Marlins, and both of those teams essentially ignored the rules their leagues had in place.

I was trying to remain apolitical by providing another example other than the White House. LOL.

This graph really covers my point. Risk of transmission is definitely not virtually zero based on one test and then staying home. And you’re also assuming that you can get results in 24 hours which is definitely not true in all places.

Darn, it didn’t all make it. Orange line is viral load, dark blue line is rapid tests, light blue line is PCR tests, and pink line is infectious. The full article is here:

Yeah, I was reading an article that said studies have found that quarantining 8 days and then getting a negative test on day 8 is nearly as good as quarantining for 14 days. But if you have exposure today, and you get texted negative tomorrow, you can easily be infectious in 1-3 days.

Watch it or dont watch it. I’m not summarizing it for you.

This is our plan. I went to the dentist last week and scheduled the follow up for the week after Thanksgiving. That’s the last in-person contact I’ll have with anyone but my wife before we have dinner with my in-laws (just 4 people total).

Depending on how much you are looking forward to the event, having it derailed the day before isn’t very appealing.

This week my son was supposed to participate in an activity* on Veteran’s Day. Then, on Monday we were informed that one of the kids he sits next to in school has tested positive, so he is supposed to quarantine (later that night they decided to close the school down for at least 2 weeks). I thought about maybe getting a rapid test, but those are in short supply around here, and it probably wouldn’t have been a good idea for him to go even with a negative.

Anyway - not a Thanksgiving story, just a “having to change plans last minute really sucks” story. It’s just going to be myself, the wife, and the kids for Thanksgiving this year, so, whatever.

*the activity itself may have been ill advised, but still, he was really looking forward to it.

We just bought the turkey, so we’re making it even if we have to cancel our plans.

kind of annoys me when the mainstream media tries to guilt people into not hanging out with anyone outside of their immediate households for thanksgiving. some of us are a household of ONE, so guilt us into not killing anyone, while those who live with people automatically are allowed to continue to hang out with them.

in washington, they now flat out have a rule in place where you cannot have any inside gatherings at all that don’t involve your immediate household. i find it a little silly to make a rule that people are flat out going to break and you cannot hold them accountable anyway. cuomo is limiting inside gatherings to 10 or less and advises that you don’t have them at all for NY. that’s a little more acceptable to me than shaming single people into not seeing anyone ever.

1 Like

My mom lives alone. So does her sister. They have “merged their bubbles” and i think they count as one household, even though they don’t live together.