Thanksgiving 2020 Discussion Thread

My parents wanted to have a dinner. My sister is just a couple minutes from their house, and her kids are always over at their house. I’d think with our kids still attending in person school, there is a reasonable chance one of us could pass it along to them, so we declined getting together.

Christmas…I think it will depend on if schools stay in person. If they go virtual, or we decide to go virtual as an option, maybe we get together. We can have groceries delivered and pretty much stay in a bubble for a few weeks.

Urgent care usually has a line for them first thing when they open and they quickly run out of the rapid tests.

It’s late to act on this, but FWIW the Québec government, in order to get people to celebrate Christmas as safely as possible, looks like they’re adjusting they’re lockdown rules such that there will be relaxed rules for December 24-27, but tighter rules for (December 17-23) and (December 28-January 3).

This idea - going into strict isolation for the week before and the week after a family gathering – seems wise if you’re going to do the gathering thing.

(Of course, the Québec government is taking flack for codifying the observance of Christmas, but not the winterish holidays of other faiths, but discussion of that is probably beyond the scope of this thread.)

Is there a typo in there?

my parents zipcode is the 2nd highest infection rate in all of New York. At Cuomo’s press conference today he said that Staten Island is becoming a major problem for hospitals reaching capacity. I’m still going there on Thanksgiving :grimacing:

Manhattan is much lower infection rate than my parents zipcode. They are like 95% Trump supporters there, so it’s no wonder.

No. Everything’s a little bit different in Québec. :sunglasses:

(Fixed the typo. Thanks.)

1 Like

We will have quarantined for 15 days (no supermarket, no nothing) by the time Thursday rolls around and took the slow COVID test early last week (both negative). We’d also been highly careful before quarantining (supermarket trips once every couple of weeks, we each went to the dentist once).

Only having Thanksgiving with wife’s parents (5 minutes away) and us.

We are having my family (wife, son, two daughters). Each daughter is bringing 2 friends who are not going home from college for T’giving. Didn’t want them to be alone, so they are coming to our place.

So 9 of us.

We are hosting the in-laws, who are not doing any kind of quarantine, but my MIL was exposed and has been tested once (negative) and will get tested again before they show up here. I wouldn’t characterize them as anti-maskers, more of the ‘eh, it’s in God’s hands’ crowd. I’ll be doing my best to sit as far away from them as possible.

I was going to do a standing rib roast, but Costco had Spanish cured hams that looked really good so we got one. So we don’t have to cook a ton.

We (2 of us) are doing take out dinners from the local diner (can walk there if we wanted) down the street and then a Zoom family get together with about 20 people from across the country (east cost to Hawaii and many places in between). Local family from about 100 miles away not coming down this year.

Going to the local hospital this afternoon. Not the 1 hour results like I’d hoped to get but they said it’s typically within 24 hours. We’ll see what “typically” looks like. Hopefully prior to our planned departure Wednesday morning.

ETA: And perhaps more accurate too. I think this is going to be the “brain tickling” kind of test… not looking forward to it, but it’s better than unwittingly passing Covid-19 to a cancer patient. The scheduler said “nasal swab” and when I pressed her for more info she didn’t know exactly how far into the nose they go. :grimacing:

It seems more like a recognition of probable constituency behavior rather than codifying the observance of Christmas.

Heck, one Jewish family that I’m friends with gets together with family on December 25 since the kids are off school and everyone is off work. They’re not celebrating Christmas or anything… I think they usually order Chinese if it doesn’t happen to coincide with Hanukkah (which it doesn’t this year).

Don’t non-Christians celebrate Christmas in the US? Around here it’s a non-religious holiday, little different than halloween or thanksgiving. More of a western cultural thing. Yes there’s churches that do the baby in a manger thing, but otherwise it’s got nothing to do with being christian.

I’m a Jew. I do NOT celebrate Christmas. It’s a religious holiday. Yes, it has been glitzed out to ridiculous proportions, but I still do not consider it my holiday.

my family is apparently risking death from a horrific virus to hang out on thanksgiving, but we won’t be doing that for christmas since it isn’t our holiday.

So it’s a geographic thing. Because here, it’s very much non-religious. No little baby jesus around here anywhere. I guess it’s the heavy concentration of evangelicals in the US that makes the difference.

oooh, you don’t have baby jesus? yeah, i think it’s different in the US then. yeah, it’s been glitzed up but there is still a definite religious component to it with baby jesus.

we have a “holiday party” at work to be more inclusive as to not just be for christmas. well, not this year. this year we have some zoom party that i’m confused what it will even be. 2020 sucks :frowning:

Yes, but Quebec has been incredibly forceful in saying they are a secular government (including banning women from wearing a hijab if they are in a public sector job [they ban the wearing of crosses too]), so it’s a bad look.

So, most of us are doing right by the country.

Here’s one guy (I bet he considers himself a “patriot”) who thinks otherwise:

And here is a story on expected crowds at airports:

So, expect another spike (and we’re currently experiencing a spike) around December 3-9.

I am Jewish, I don’t celebrate Christmas