Suicide is Painless

Anyone should be able to read it here, with or without a NYT subscription.

1 Like

From John S Mill (aka ME!)

“[T]he only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right”

The reality is that people can be in emotionally vulnerable states where they make decisions based on environmental cues rather than on any kind of transcendent reason.

We don’t want to make an environment that encourages sad or injured people to kill themselves.

To me, this is the real challenge, particularly with respect to people with mental illness. I believe that the traditional view, where our divinely given reason tempers our more animal-like emotions, is incorrect. Rather, emotions seem likely to be critical to our ability to make rational decisions. Then how can we know that a person who is depressed, say, is thinking rationally, when by definition their emotions are not functioning properly? If this even might be true, it means we should be extremely careful when thinking about allowing people to die by suicide.

Yeah choice is a good thing.
I wouldn’t want a bunch of people around me as I die. I hope that I get to say goodbye to my kids/grandkids. But to each their own.

I don’t know that I’d want people around me when I actually died, either. But being able to say goodbye shortly before pulling the plug would be nice, I think.

I can see that for some. I don’t think I’d like that though. I think for me it would be terribly awkward. And an awkward thing to put my kids/grandkids through as they would have to entertain people through their grief - twice.

If I knew I was dying, I’d try to privately visit all those I wanted to say goodbye to. By the time it’s time to pull the plug, I don’t want anyone feeling like they have to interact with me or anyone else. For my kids: Just hold my hand and when I’m gone, do what feels right to you.

I saw the thread title and got excited about a MAS*H post. I am now a little bummed out.

2 Likes

Henry : [pulling out Klinger’s file] Here we go. Father dying, right?
Klinger : Yes, sir.
Henry : [going through letters in Klinger’s file] Father dying, last year. Mother dying, last year. Mother and father dying. Mother, father, and older sister dying. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Older sister dying and mother pregnant. Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying.

Here’s an oldie but a goodie: half of the family dying, other half pregnant. [puts file down] Klinger, aren’t you ashamed of yourself?

Klinger : Yes sir. I don’t deserve to be in the Army.

5 Likes

Waving at people from the coffin would be friggin awesome.

But more realistically, I would love to have a goodbye party. You could take your time, and give hugs, and share feelings, and tell secrets, and say last words, and do all the other stuff that we dream of doing instead of just just screaming in pain.

I agree many people would find that awkward. But ideally it would all get more normal.

Well, I care less about my passing away, but you know people are going to be crying or whatever, and that stresses me out.
Not to mention I don’t like seeing emotions either way. I don’t want them to feel like they need to feel sad or happy, and I don’t want to see them feeling sad or happy.

Well, if you’re the kind of person that doesn’t like weddings, you probably also won’t like premature funerals. :smiley:

Philosophically, why/why not? Are we trying to keep people alive so we feel better?

I guess that depends on your philosophical approach.

I think most of us have the experience that being alive is worth doing, so the burden of proof is probably on a philosophical system that claims it is not.

If you want to be utilitarian about it, I suppose you could say that keeping people alive contributes to happiness in the long term. We don’t want to nudge people to kill themselves because they are feeling depressed as teenagers.

Or we could say that people themselves have intrinsic value. Again, we don’t want them dying if we can help it.

Well, making it harder for people to kill themselves just makes their suicides a lot more painful.

This is giving me the same vibes as making abortions illegal, or making butt sex illegal, or making drugs illegal. They’re still going to happen.
Nobody wants to commit suicide for the fun of it.

My FIL was terminal and in increasing pain from Sept 2021 to his final breath.

He had made regular phone calls to his kids (including my wife as we’re several states away) and expressed his gratitude, love, and pride in each.

Once the doctor gave the okay for the termination-of-life prescription (takes 24 hours to get filled), all of the kids were under the impression that he was going to take it the day after the prescription was filled (and ready to be picked up).

We worked to get out for that one last good bye (for my wife) on the day it was to be filled. He took the stuff while were still 2 hours away (we made that distance in an hour, FWIW) and got there about 10 minutes before the attending RN pronounced him “gone”.

My best guess for my FIL motivation: Didn’t want the kids* to have their last view of him alive as being in that state.

*My SIL (FIL’s oldest daughter) was the one to help administer the prescription to him.

1 Like

There’s all kinds of evidence that if you remind people of suicide, or make suicide seem more honorable and less taboo people will partake in it more than otherwise (Freakonomics has done a bit on this). Suicidal thoughts are often a transient thing (unlike butt sex, also I told you all your threads are about poop stuff) which is where the analogy breaks down. If you’re a happy guy and you know you’re going to be happy for the entirety of your natural life but you knew for one week at some point in the middle you’re going to be super depressed making suicide easy and accepted for a young person would rob you of that remainder of your life, simply because of that moment of weakness and the ease of access/acceptance.

1 Like

Well, maybe just once.

if your butt sex involves poop, you’re doing it wrong

And you’re speaking this from…an omniscient point of view? Can’t you also argue this from an abortion POV, or drug POV, that if you do it just once it’ll ruin your whole life?
Let people do what they want at the time they want to do it, it’s simple, as long as it doesn’t harm anyone else.

I think there are some key differences.

Suicide involves ending a human life, irreversibly (obviously). That is not true of any of those other activities.

Making suicide might make things more painful for the person who has made the rational decision. But making it too easy endangers the people who are not acting rationally. These costs must be weighted against each other. In this case, I’m in favor making it very hard to commit suicide.

As an example, I believe that school support groups for LGBTQ teenagers can significantly reduce suicide rates. This is obviously a good thing. We could also imagine the inverse of this, which would be groups that explain to these teens how to kill themselves, and tell them such a rational decision is theirs to make. This would obviously be a bad thing.

If we restrict ourselves to people who will die in the next 6 months, say, then I do think the calculus changes. It should probably be easier to commit suicide. Maybe we do want doctors explaining this option to patients. Even then, we have to be very careful that people do not feel pressured to die this way.

1 Like

:laughing: fair

I can see what you mean about the abortion parallels, that maybe the state thinks you’ll change your mind about wanting the kid when the kid is older. It is a bit like that, except in this case the thing being killed is far more developed. It’s all philosophical though, how much should the state be allowed to nanny.