Suicide is Painless

Sounds like you’re against suicide in general then, if your idea is to save them.

Not always, but there’s an awful lot of melodramatic teens out there who feel like their life is over, when really it’s about 3 years from being good again.

You can say that about anyone wanting to kill themselves, that if you save them they might regret killing themselves. The whole point is that it’s not up to you (or the government) to decide when someone should be worthy of dying.

You can say whatever you like, but there really is a difference between a teen suffering somewhat normal teen angst, who is likely to be happier in 3 years and go on to live a decent life, and someone who nearing the natural end of their life who is in pain that’s only going to get worse.

Those are the two extremes, and there are certainly cases in between, where one might argue for personal autonomy. But the difference between my miserable 8th grade and my friend’s dad’s miserable brain tumor is pretty stark.

I suppose I could, but I wouldn’t, because most suicidal people aren’t anything like angsty teens.

If you want to argue philosophically that we shouldn’t assume control of teenagers in this way, go for it.

Most angsty teens also don’t kill themselves. To say teens don’t deserve the option is to diminish their pain. While you can see it as only 3-4 years of their life, it is almost a quarter of their life experience in pain.

Rather nice? Not totally insanely disturbing for everyone present?

Not if everyone dies together!!!

1 Like

Most who do try to kill themselves, and are stopped, are later glad they are stopped and go on to try to stop their own children. Of course that is literal survivorship bias, so perhaps invalid.

1 Like

The Guillotine was another method designed as a “humane” method of execution.

Need to cross post this to the “posters you miss” thread.

1 Like

I’m a little skeptical that running out of oxygen is painless but ok

death by snoo snoo

2 Likes

I imagine not being able to inhale is quite painful, but being able to breathe while asphyxiating wouldn’t be so bad.

I think Alabama is developing a nitrogen chamber alternative to lethal injection.

Might actually increase your desire to die.

RN

yup:

2 Likes

I thought they needed more cowbell

1 Like

My son went to a “goodbye party” for a friend with cancer last summer, and a month or two later he went to the funeral. Was it insanely disturbing? I dunno, he chose to go. I’m envisioning combining those two events.

I dunno. If I’m choosing to die, having people around me would stress me the eff out, and that’s not what I want when I die.

When my great aunt was dying, she did wait for my brother to leave the room before removing her teeth and breathing her last.

But if you could choose the time, you’d get to decide stuff like that.

This popped up on my feed:

I have a subscription, but it still won’t let me read the article.