Studies with obvious results

It isnt obvious that a weight loss product actually works

1 Like

It would be a real twist if it reduced a person’s weight but NOT their BMI. Maybe it makes them lose height, too.

2 Likes

I would bet that “Weight loss drug led to nothing, study finds” happens often enough to not be particularly newsworthy.

2 Likes

Isn’t the correct response to this article/study to point to the thread on the Fair?

I assume most weight loss products are shit. Eat less, move more.

Another one that I think is obvious (I cannot vouch for anyone else):

Semaglutide

For those wondering, this stuff works. Doctors’ prescribe it, and it’ll take the weight off.

1 Like

Obvious, for intelligent people.
For deniers, like Goodell, should be eye-opening. But I doubt it will be. cuz fuhbaw!!

Do you think they’re going to treat anything science-related objectively?

More like a story asking a question with an obvious answer.

Yes, stuff is shitter now even though costing the same as it did before, because of shittier materials and an acceptance by companies of lower quality for more future sales.
What I would like to see are goods made with the quality of prior ages, but sold at a “now” cost. Would that writer’s bra now cost $100?
To add to the undergarment discussion, I was gifted underpants last year that are now losing their elasticity. And I have a lot and I rotate like a good actuary. What would five-years-guaranteed underwear cost? (Asking for a friend.)
Need to find my Neuwirth book about PV’ing all long-term purchases. Would like to know how much my life costs per day.

2 Likes

You want to be on r/buyitforlife. Which has gotten kind of crappy with people posting their nail clippers that survived 12 years. I don’t go over the top trying to make sure every purchase lasts forever, but I do hate how crappy a lot of things have become.

Thankfully, there are still a lot of companies who still make a quality product, but you won’t find them at Target.

Re: underpants. I think Exofficio are of reasonable quality. Do you use the ‘low’ heat setting when drying?

1 Like

Um, what? Does that make clothing last longer?

Why not hang them out to dry?

I think that’s even better, but laziness is a factor. I do air dry my Smartwool shirts.

Double check me, but I’m pretty sure high heat is no bueno for fabric in general, and stretchy stuff in particular.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks!