Studies with obvious results

how does that joke go about how do you know if a person went to harvard?

something like just like them vegans they will tell you EVERY GODDAMN CHANCE THEY GET.

1 Like

most of the tie they wear a hoodie.

although, most likely itā€™s their uncle or brother that went to harvard if they wear a hoodie

I think going to Harvard is less about the education, although Iā€™m sure the education is great. Itā€™s more about knowing a ton of other people who went to Harvard. Good Rolodex to have.

1 Like

I think people prevent themselves from learning it on their own quite easily.

Pretty sure that still happens. Maybe slightly less than in the past as they have a massive endowment. But they also like having a massive endowment, so itā€™s good business to keep the donors happy. It certainly happens at the other Ivy Leagues, which also have considerable endowments, but the other 7 pale in comparison to Harvard.

I think without the promise of superb education, the ā€œconnectionā€ aspect can be destroyed rather easily. Especially since the new fad of the generation (and many employers/entrepreneurs/billionaires) is to discredit the important of paid education.

1 Like

Yeah my cousin & her husband met at a different Ivy League school, both athletes, and they basically never have to worry about jobs as the alumni from their school, particularly who also played their sports, will basically take care of keeping them employed in whatever city they want to live, for as long as they want. Itā€™s quite the network.

1 Like

idk, i was under the impression that itā€™s a lot less. my uncle married into a rich old money family who all went to harvard, not necessarily because they were smart, but because they were connected. his wife went to harvard. their daughters, the current generation had zero chance of getting into harvard. one of their daughters is super smart.

Itā€™s possible that Harvardā€™s endowment is now so large that theyā€™ve decided they can afford to start burning bridges in the interest of being woke. I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case at the other ivies.

oh, and i know that a lot of these rich people colleges have odd requirements to get in that are not merit based at all.

the super smart cousin couldnā€™t get into the college that the less smart cousin got into because she didnā€™t go to the same connected high school.

lots of favoritism in these rich people schools that i have to discredit college as meaning much at those schools.

ā€œpreventā€ is the wrong word here.

People arenā€™t ā€œpreventingā€ themselves from understanding, say, how fractions work. 2-year-olds arenā€™t ā€œpreventingā€ themselves from reading

All that said, guys, you know the education is available. It was available before the internet ā€“

I have some of those, up in my library.

Then thereā€™s this:

They always try to upsell you, of course.

My preference isnā€™t the Harvard brand, because they donā€™t necessarily have the best teachers.

I go here:

https://www.wondrium.com/home

[used to be Great Courses/Teaching Company]

Iā€™ve learned a lot of stuff outside of formal schooling, I just donā€™t have any degrees in these things.

Do you want to learn something, or do you want a credential?

1 Like

Which one will get me the next job?

the latter is getting more and more demonized as the days go

at your age?

At my age, I need to point to something Iā€™ve actually accomplished, and no, getting a credential ainā€™t it.

(My age is 48)

2 Likes

Really? I know people who go out of their way not to learn new things. Maybe you donā€™t. Doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t exist.

ā€œHorse to waterā€ and shit like that.

I am serious because I have taught calculus at a few different colleges.

And Iā€™ve also taught GED math to people who will never be learning calculus. Not until they get the hang of percentages and fractions first. And then maybe they can move on to algebra.

But I donā€™t even need to drop down that low. I taught the required ā€œlast-math-class-you-have-to-takeā€ at NYU to the humanities majors, and those people arenā€™t taking calculus. Many people never really ā€œgetā€ the equation of a line. Theyā€™re not going to be learning calculus.

This is not about ā€œavoidingā€ learning something new. People donā€™t learn abstract math because learning math is difficult for most people, you know, in a way that learning history isnā€™t.

Um, what else could happen?

why is it obvious results that a diet pill works?

1 Like

Weight gain? Nothing? Death? Alien abduction?

There are probably some other thingsā€¦

2 Likes

Those are not as obvious and a little more newsworthy.