Studies with obvious results

MATH CHECKS OUT

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/09567976221105459

1 Like

Marijuana legalization leads to an increase in marijuana use. Never would have guessed it.

1 Like
2 Likes

gotta define fair.

fair by score would be mostly asians very few blacks.
fair by life…something else

Shocking that when admissions become less objective and more subjective that it doesn’t help poor people get into college.

1 Like

No doubt the US K-12 education system fails poorer communities, but does affirmative action really solve that? Side effect of affirmative action seems to be higher drop-out rates where more kids end up with substantial debt and no degree

If education were the way out of poverty for poor people, then they’d focus more on that instead. Clearly working to keep the lights on is more important at that rung of the socioeconomic ladder so maybe we should help poor people do that instead.

I think it depends on who Affirmative Action is letting in.

At a school like Harvard probably 95% of the applicants have what it takes to finish but they only take something like 6% of applicants. If AA means that 90% of the top 5% of applicants get in plus 10% of the next 15% of applicants (who are underrepresented in the 90% of top 5% group) then I think it works as intended. All of the students in the top 20% are perfectly capable of cutting it and it’s not really hurting anything to choose which of the top 20 get in to achieve other goals. Unqualified black kids are not getting into Harvard due to Affirmative Action.

At Podunk U, however, maybe only 60% of applicants have what it takes to finish. And maybe they take 60% of applicants. So without Affirmative Action they are basically taking the kids who can cut it and leaving the ones who can’t and the kids who dropped out are the ones where something unexpected happened or the school’s ranking system wasn’t quite perfect or that year only 59% could cut it but they still took 60%.

Now at Podunk U if you start messing with admissions in the name of Affirmative Action, you’re definitionally accepting kids who can’t cut it, and ultimately doing them a disservice in terms of racking up student loans and spending what savings they had on tuition, books, and room & board instead of a trade school. Or conversely, if Podunk U had been doing Affirmative Action and stops then their graduation rate should go up since they’re no longer admitting so many kids who can’t cut it.

And of course an even bigger problem is schools where 60% of their applicants can cut it but they routinely accept 90% of their applicants. That’s unethical IMO.

Making education limited and prestigious is dumb. Just make Harvard bigger, there’s more than enough starving PhDs out there who can teach.

omg calculus, so special, so mysterious, must keep people from learning it. wow.

1 Like

Have you ever been to Cambridge? They only have so much physical space. We’re not talking about University of Phoenix.

I’ve been to Boston, those people don’t know how to build up.

apparently U of Phoenix knows how to use the internet more than Harvard

There’s a thread where this was discussed already, but Harvard has been adding square footage like crazy, and they have been cramming 4 students into dorm space intended for 2 for decades. There’s also parking problems. And they’ve expanded into Allston.

I think they’re doing what can reasonably be done.

Why don’t they just move then?

Because then it wouldn’t be the same Harvard. It was already a big deal when professors had their offices moved from Cambridge to Allston (which is seen as inferior).

Also I think their standards for their faculty are more than “is a starving PhD”.

Apple moved their headquarters and it’s still the same Apple. Shouldn’t we care more about educating people, versus Harvard not being Harvard or whatever that means?

that’s CS’s point.

You’re not buying education at Harvard. Education can be done wherever you are. Having limited physical space because you refuse to expand physically is a poor excuse.

And if you’re not offering education as an education institution, what are you even doing?

is harvard really that great?

in the days of yore if your family went to harvard and donated lots of cash you got in too. you weren’t necessarily the brightest person, but you got in due to that legacy bs. now i think it’s a bit different in that it’s harder for whitey white rich white to get in just cause their parents were in, which is a good thing i suppose, but the past of harvard leaves a bad impression on me in not being all that impressed hearing that someone went there.