Sportswashing

So, you’re pontificating just to make yourself be heard and really don’t have a point at all.

Got it.

This attitude, this right here is the reason America is slipping into fascism. This is the functional statement of how the evils in the world persist even when the people involved recognize the evil. This is what the GOP (gaslight, obstruct, project) relies on when they project lies onto their enemies - no sense pointing fingers since everyone is bad. Yes, we are all stuck in this cesspool of existence. We all are covered in shit to different degrees but that does not make the act of wallowing and flinging shit the same as the act of trying to climb and raise us out.

The USA has and does and will do evil. Hell the Saudi’s actions now and in the past could not have happened without the active support of the USA. That does not mean we do not judge every act of evil as evil. To put it into practice - Live a principled life, where you are able support others that support your principles. Your actions, your choices (particularly about things that don’t matter like entertainment) reflect what principles you support more than what you claim to support.

Disclaimer: I do not play or follow or watch golf. At one point in the past for a brief period the local PGA was a client. I have neither good or bad memories of them beyond the extent of a successful business transaction.

4 Likes

“get off your high horse” is pontification? More like the opposite

so you’re blaming me for fascism? This is pontification here, everyone pay attention

Perhaps to put it a different way:

We are all sinners, including even the saints.

That doesn’t make us all equally guilty. It doesn’t make all evil equivalent. It should not be an excuse to shrug our shoulders at injustice.

3 Likes

First LIV tournament is now history.

But we hold ourselves to a higher standard than the rest of the world. The US is better than other countries so must be an example to others.

Look, the U.S. has a checkered history of doing shady shit. [Who know why Iran hates us, right? Spoiler: they didn’t start it.] Most rational people concede that.

The U.S. government does not go around ordering hits of X-American critics by luring them into various locations and then killing them, and then though some quasi-private arm sponsor sporting competitions under the guise of friendship and freedom - and, the most important thing, … it’$ … $omething.

So yeah, I do think we’re better than that. Certainly better than Saudi Arabia on that front. Doesn’t mean our hands are squeaky clean by any stretch - we condone Israel doing shit to the Palestinians that we’d scream constantly about if someone semi-hostile was doing it to someone else [and then sit back, jam our hands in our pockets and say gosh, what a darn shame, someone should really do something about that] - but we don’t go around killing critics of the government just to shut them up and send a message to others that they could be next, and then try to woo famous people to talk about what a great country we are by lobbing suitcases full of cash in “friendly” competition and demanding everyone covering the event to not talk about the shitty things we did or they can GTFO.

Everyone else’s MMV, though.

I’m blaming you for hyperbole, self-martyrdom and a general inability to comprehend the difference in two situations, among other things.

If you want to say you’re also the cause of fascism, hoist yourself on that petard and see how it goes.

The US also recognizes that women are human beings, not just valuable property of men. Slavery is currently illegal in the US, and you can get in trouble for mistreating your employees. Even if the employees aren’t citizens. Even if they are illegal aliens.

It’s not just about one hit job.

2 Likes

Are the players required to say positive things about SA or are they just required to remain silent about the bad things SA does under threat of being kicked off tour?

I think I’ve decided I’m just not going to watch it. People can do what they want and so can I. That’s the American way.

Well there were at least 2 reporters removed for pointed questions to the players at the first event so you can make of that what you may.

1 Like

Sounds like a invalid argument.

They might mean, “I don’t think it’s that bad” or they might mean “I don’t care that it’s wrong.” It’s sort of hard to to tell. But that sentence is basically nonsense.

FWIW, in terms of economic moral stuff, I definitely don’t think it’s on par with, for example, purchasing goods made with slave labor.

How do you know what is made with slave labor?

You can’t always know, but if you do know, then you shouldn’t purchase something made that way.

More broadly, it’s just as immoral to pay someone to commit a sin, as it is to commit the sin yourself.

Which is why, for example, hiring a hitman is murder.

But how wrong is it to watch a murderer play golf?

Watching a murderer play professional golf is essentially paying him if there are sponsorships involved.

What good is becoming a better nation if we don’t get a damn high horse to sit on???

Some would argue hiring a hitman is worse, as you are enticing someone else to commit the sin along with you.

When I am considering whether participating in the tour would be something that would pass my own ethical standards I have to include whether there is a formal cooperation with evil. As noted above in the slave labor example, you can’t always know everything about your counterparty; today’s economy is incredibly complex. Some might argue that remaining silent is enough cooperation to be complicit. I know I don’t look to golf pros for politico-socio-economic pontificating. (I also watch very little golf). Is it fair to expect them to be experts?

My company’s anti-trust training tells me I am not to disparage our competitors. So is my silence regarding a (hypothetical) competitor’s product that is less favorable to consumers a complicit silence?