Sportswashing

• paying a murderer to play golf is not the same as paying him to commit murder. We’re not creating the incentive.
  • it might be possible to watch without paying in.
  • most importantly, it sounds like this a losing business proposition, meant to be a pr stunt.

So this really is just smiling at the murderer’s golf. He’s hoping your smile will make you forget about the blood under his pristine golf gloves.

Is that gross? Yes.

But it’s not neeeeeearly on the same level as financing the crime.

Would Jesus watch murderer golf? Probably not. But presumably, Jesus wouldn’t sit on his ass, watching golf at all.

Right, I was addressing your question though.

The golfers themselves are not murderers anyway (I assume) so it’s kind of a weird question.

I assume the issue is that if they’re getting paid by murderers or other bad people should we watch.

How and why is the government getting the funds to pay them? If they’re benefitting from the actual or anticipated size of the TV audience in terms of dollars or saving face then I think we’re supporting the government by watching.

The How is oil drilling. The Why is face saving. They want us to excuse murdering and torturing innocent people over politics, gender, nation, religion, etc.

And it’s probably fair to assume that it will work. Golf will convince some folks that SA is not as evil as other terrorist sponsoring Sharia states.

So yes, I think you’re correct. But I think it’s only a very small amount of support. Making it a smallish sin imo.

1 Like

better nation? more like a schizophrenic nation tearing itself apart. Maybe we should work on solving our own problems instead of pointing fingers.

They probably excused our murdering and torturing. why can’t we do the same?

Sure, who is without sin, let them eat cake, whatever…

But maybe don’t let golf choose your morals for you.

1 Like

Also a bad argument. Can we just stick with good arguments?

1 Like

good argument: let Sweden (or other nordic countries) sit on the high horse. They can tell the world how it’s done

When players have said something derogatory or not positive, they have usually been walked back on their comments. So their best option is to stay totally silent about how they feel about KSA.

Yeah, well, once upon a time in America we used to let people be put in the stock and pelted with rotten food. We also once said we didn’t want the Irish or the Italians instead of letting them come over and live in peace and harmony, and did what we could to harass the shit out of them and dissuade them from coming over. Hell, Britain exiled prisoners to Australia instead of letting them stay closer to home to be near their family and friends.

I’ve been reliably told that’s exactly as evil as as one select Saudi family repressing the shit out of a decent chunk of the masses and killing those who wants to express dissent, not to mention chopping hands off for theft and other punishments that we don’t use and haven’t used for decades, or ever.

Checkmate, lib.

This is a very … nation-centric view. Almost like it’s something one would say when trying to promote serving the short-term interests of the home nation over all else, at the expense of others and especially at the expense of the home nation’s longer-term interests. Kind of like one group of people in the U.S. have been pushing for a while now.

If only there was a word for this choice of thought that someone espoused, especially when coupled with a certain method of governance that reinforces that belief system.

that’s cute

Oooh, maybe not Sweden.

Or Finland.

There’s still Norway - right?

Fuck … well, not Denmark - right?

switzerland?

Zurich night of murder, Greifensee beheadings, Veltin massacre of Catholics by Protestants, … and that’s not even touching all the massacres of Jews in 1348-49 during the Black Plague.

And, the Swiss army firing into a crowd in Geneva in 1932, killing 13.

JFC, is there no country in this world who’s never done wrong to someone else?

a good country is hard to find!

You’re so close to getting it.

lol. I was gonna say that about you!

anyway, thanks for making my argument

Spoken like a true fool. Of course, the difference between you and I is that I already realize every country has been involved in abuses in history, but that some countries evolved from that and are doing better even if still not squeaky clean perfect.

You, on the other hand, want to treat any bad act as equally bad no matter the time reference or the degree of the act.

you’re splitting hairs with murder and torture just to back your silly argument. Your posts here are pretty useless. But thanks!