Sportswashing

Didn’t China do this same type thing with the 2 Beijing Olympics?

That wasn’t what you asked though, was it?

3 Likes

There are also extensive humanitarian concerns about the nature of their military actions in Yemen.

2 Likes

Yes, and we complained about their treatment of the Uyghur population.

But then we went over and won a bunch of medals and everyone quit caring about the Uyghurs because :1st_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :3rd_place_medal:, so it was OK.

Whataboutism is a great way to get shitty behavior excused.

2 Likes

no, it wasn’t

that doesn’t forgive hypocrisy does it

Remind me of that time we invited a reporter from another country over to one of our embassies overseas, tortured him to death, cut him up with a bone saw, then disposed of all the pieces so no one would ever find a trace of him.

Go ahead, take your time. I’ll wait.

1 Like

That’s how you say guess what? You all are huge asshole jerks making everyone do what you want them to do and you have 5 or 6 times as many people as us. We let people do whatever they want even if we hate it and we still kicked your asses.

Political Science thought:

If Donald Trump got everything he wanted we would basically be just like Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

nah, we just tortured people in guantanamo for years on end. Found lotsa interesting ways to torture too

That’s right. The United States tortured people. Maybe some rightfully, maybe some not so rightfully - but … torture is teh bad, period. For that, they should be condemned to hell.

Respectfully yours,

North Korea (1953-present), China w/ the Uyghur (2018-present), Russia (1917-1991; 2000-present), Germany (1933-1945; East Germany along with the rest of the Eastern Bloc, 1947-1990), Japan (1933-1945, probably years before 1933 as well), countless nations in Africa over the years, England v. India, France v. all the colonies it controlled, …

Probably could have gotten T-shirts made that said that.

Maybe even could have asked the Chinese to have the Uyghur make them so their imprisonment leads to something productive for us.

no need to be condemned to hell. just stop pointing fingers

Your point would be much more valid if say American Express, Farmers Insurance, FedEx, Mastercard, AT&T, Safeway, 3M, Nike, Titleist, Calloway, etc. etc. had organized these incidents of torture and sponsored a golf tournament / golf tour.

What’s that? None of them paid for anyone to be flown to Guantanamo to be tortured?

And spare me the “guilt by association” game, unless you’re boycotting every company HQ’d in a county that once upon a time did something terrible to a group of people. In that case, I’m really eager to hear how disgusted you are with Anheuser-Busch InBev because of the massacre of Jews in Belgium in the 14th century.

i’m not disgusted by anything. i’m not boycotting anything. sorry, you got the wrong guy

Putting aside 911, they are a hotbed of social misjustice, human rights violations, and ongoing (to this day) drive their construction with slave labour.
I wouldn’t touch saudi money directly for anything.

2 Likes

the US is guilty of the exact same things. But because some of it’s in our past and not our present, we get to sit on the high horse

every country does what it does to protect its own interests. No sense pointing fingers

i’d take $200M of that saudi money in a heartbeat. Doubt they’d give me even one cent though

Wut? Doing it years ago and then stopping isn’t the same thing as unapologetically still doing it.

it ain’t all that different either