So uh, do you guys think Putin will invade Ukraine or what

I don’t understand it either. Are we really going to let the Germans screw over Europe a 3rd time?

Remember when Trump called them out over it a few years back, and these crazy krauts could only smirk? Oh well, I guess you can indeed smirk about your catastrophic policy decisions when you’re not held to account for them.

That is the tragedy of Trump. He was absolutely right on Germany, and then made headlines by imposing tariffs on Canada.

1 Like

It also didn’t help that he constantly made all sorts of stupid headlines, drowning out any legitimate message he had about anything.

2 Likes

Something, something, blind squirrel, broken clock, something.

2 Likes

The logic here was very very obvious. It’s not luck that Trump was so clearly correct on this contemporaneously, so blind squirrel doesn’t apply. The other stupid stuff that Trump did has no bearing on this very straightforward conclusion.

A more interesting question to ask if why more politicians weren’t saying this. Remember, the US had spent 2+ years at this point demonizing Russia. Further, Russia had invaded Crimea in 2014 after the coup deposed the pro-Russian president.

Now that Ukraine has been obliterated, and Germany (and others) continue to fund Russia’s war, more people should be asking these questions. But they aren’t. Comically, the populace who regurgitates talking points about Trump’s lack of intelligence is, in fact, significantly less intelligent than him.

1 Like

Of course it does. If he just listed off a bunch of stuff and we have to come along and judge which is the ramblings of a dumba** and which is great policy then he’s not the one with the insight…

2 Likes

That’s generally how intellect works, you have to consider any argument or assertion on its own. Usually these types of assertions are decided on the merits, not some lazy ad hominem about how the messenger is orange and stupid.

For me, this argument was so very obvious that I didn’t consider whatsoever the messenger. Germany may have smugly smirked more with misguided confidence that actual consequences wouldn’t happen, hard to say, but the question of Russia’s aggression isn’t actually relevant to Trump very obviously being right.

There’s also an element of clear cognitive bias IMO. Biden can barely string a coherent paragraph together and yet there doesn’t seem to be the same level of dismissiveness with everything he says.

Perhaps it’s time for some of you to look inward and assess whether media is overriding your objective assessment of various assertions and policy.

1 Like

Perhaps indeed.

Maybe this will make it clear. If I’m looking to hire you and your proposition is that you’ll list possible things we can do, some of which are great ideas and some of which are absolute shite but you have no idea which are which, you’re not worth hiring.

1 Like

That’s a good way to stifle innovation. If an employee is too scared to bring up an idea in case it turns out to be a bad idea and they get fired, they’re better off not coming up with any ideas.

1 Like

what if that gets you fired too

Then you’re in the wrong job.

On the one hand, I suspect I’ve lost job interviews by being too uhhhhhhhhhh… unique. Otoh, I agree that in our line of business, being right is better than being clever. And I don’t think I’d call someone “Intelligent” unless they were both.

In the moment, how is one supposed to know which ideas are brilliant and to be immediately acted upon, and which to be ignored (like solar walls).

I think many dumb ideas are outright illogical, and thinking them through reveals a fallacy. Some dumb ideas require a cursory knowledge of the field-- the limits, goals, causes, effects, etc. of how it all works. In a lot of cases, the dumbness comes from believing someone else in the field hasn’t already tried your dumb idea when of course they have.

Then there’s some ideas that are great-- and the greatness is clear up front-- math things are like that. And some ideas are just tried and true. Not new ideas, but that’s fine.

And then yeah there’s plenty of ideas-- like you’re saying-- where you need to work it out before you know. I wouldn’t say those are dumb ideas.

Annnnyway, it might be easier to just revisit a pile of trump tweets and decide whether you yourself would hire that idiot.

Finland & Sweden may well be more likely to.

It’s not clear (to me) if NATO will accept Ukraine. It’s supposed to be in the interest of member nations to admit new members, and I believe that they generally expect national borders to be well-established as they don’t want to utilize resources on border disputes, which this arguably is.

That said, if they’re going to join they would be wise to try when they have the sympathies of the world on their side.

One can only hope!

Unconfirmed reports that Ukraine hit the Russian frigate Admiral Makarov with a missile

Grainy video here that makes it look like the ship is in bad shape: https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1522577939669438466?s=20&t=Vd76tPB0g7GDpo0odwnRzQ

Yeah, you blast out 5-10 tweets a day parroting stuff you read and you’ll get some right from time to time.

It’s now May 9th in russia, typically the date of the big victory day celebrations. I wonder what news I might wake up to tomorrow

Ugh. That’s a depressing thought.