So uh, do you guys think Putin will invade Ukraine or what

San Francisco, although I think that whole section is just the Bay Area, not claiming either North or South.

Looks like the hawks are starting to pop out of the woodwork.

How are you defining “super power”?

Last I checked, 1938 Germany wasn’t ever considered a super power.

I heard uh, there was um some big cyberattack going on

Sounds vague at this point. If it’s just a bunch websites knocked down, then who cares?

Also hearing from US intelligence, that Russia has placed saboteurs in the Ukraine, to bomb Russian speaking Eastern Ukrainians as a false flag operation, to justify the invasion. Which seems like an oddly specific accusation.

Putin’s way of plz don’t join NATO pretty plz

That’s so 1964.
Or 1898.

US should step aside. Ukraine is of no strategic value. A case can be made that Europe and NATO have caused this situation.Putin/Russia have made it abundantly clear that Ukraine is vital strategic interest for them. Russia will not tolerate having them join the EU or worse NATO. And I don’t think we want them in either. Are we willing to send troops to defend UKRIN, LIKE Germany or France? Not hardly.

Does it make any sense whatsoever to put Putin into desperate mode? Virtually any plausible, purposeful tigger to nuclear wars entails one side seeing no other alternative. Why head down that path?

US foreign policy should focus on Asia. To do so we will need Russia’s help. Same for Syria and Iran. We need to work with Russia, not alienate them.

Really is more 1999.

From NYT’s The Morning:

This is really the thrust of Putin’s propaganda.

Ukraine isn’t close to joining the EU or NATO. Russia demanding veto rights to what happens in NATO is never going to happen so Putin demands that knowing it’ll be rejected. If we’re really the instigators here then what has happened in the last ~3 years that warrants this sudden buildup?

Most of Ukraine is happy not being Russia, hence the need for an invasion, that’s why Ukraine isn’t part of Russia. We’re already out of it. Russia invaded Crimea and no one did anything.

The real irony is now that Putin is doing all the sabre rattling it really makes it clear the need for the EU to get its act together militarily. If Brazil was threatening invasion of Colombia we’d probably be less quiet about it.

1 Like

Biden did a great job in his presser yesterday framing our public position. It was nice listening to a caring, intelligent, competent president.

• US troops in the Ukraine, nope. Military tools (sounded like intel gathering support) yep.
  • No changes within existing NATO countries. Ukraine is far from becoming a NATO country.
  • Economic sanctions if Putin does invade. Biden said major sanctions and hinted at money supply. I would not doubt he’s thinking of targeting the Oligarch money in the west.
2 Likes

The most perverse decision in all of this is the fact that Germany has shut down nuclear plants resulting in increased reliance on Russian gas. They could learn from the French!

1 Like

Why are Russia and NATO at such odds all the time? I get that NATO was set up as a “let’s protect each other from the USSR”, but the USSR has been gone for 30 years. So what if Ukraine joins NATO? Let Russia in too, IMO.

Note: I know nothing about international diplomacy.

NATO is basically a democracy club. Russia/China don’t want in because they’re still working on the effort to show that authoritarians do it better

1 Like

Also, good on Biden to work with Germany to make the Nord Stream pipeline threat, that’s pretty big.

2 Likes

The only real difference between Russia and the USSR is amount of territory directly controlled.

Many of the nations between Russia and the rest of Europe are of Russian interest in that they are essentially the modern version of the Iron Curtain. Nations that Russian is looking to invade have resources that are vital to Russian interests and the nation isn’t “cooperating appropriately”; but I think in the case of the Ukraine, it’s the threat to dissuade them from wanting to join NATO.

These are the primary reasons why Russia doesn’t want those “satellite states” to join NATO (military buffer & resources).

And NormalDan hits the nail on the head wrt why Russia doesn’t want to join NATO. That and the current set up in that nation doesn’t satisfy NATO-joining requirements.

1 Like

My guess is the oligarchs can’t have Russia both join NATO and maintain their wealth and power at the same time.

1 Like

Are we joining in on that effort.

I sure hope not :frowning:

1 Like