So uh, do you guys think Putin will invade Ukraine or what

Takes like what, 3 years to build a fab. Prices are actually making it feasible to have them here again.

Sounds rather dramatic

We could just I don’t know. Buy our chips from China if that happens. Like with everything else we buy from them.

We invented the bloody process I think we can make them here if we have to

There’s a reason we don’t. Takes years

Nvidia Corporation [note 1] (/ɛnˈvɪdiə/ en-VID-ee-ə ) is an American multinational technology company incorporated in Delaware and based in Santa Clara, California.

We good, they’re in socal

I guess I’m worried, because, for all of our bitching, our lifetimes have been around the most peaceful in history.

Lots and lots of people dying horribly feels like a regression to the mean.

I don’t think their production volume is visible on the map

My immediate thought at the original Ukraine build-up news was what if China attacks Taiwan at the same time Russian invades Ukraine? Can/will we commit to fighting on two fronts, against clearly allied superpowers? And effectively start WWIII?

So who are the major companies producing these crucial devices? To answer that, we’ve gathered a list of the top 10 semiconductor companies across the world, based on their total revenue in 2020.

1. Intel (INTC) — Santa Clara, California, United States Jobs (Overview)
  2. Samsung Electronics — Yeongtong District, Suwon, South Korea Jobs (Overview)
  3. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) — Hsinchu Science Park, Taiwan Jobs (Overview)
  4. SK Hynix Inc. — Icheon, South Korea Jobs (Overview)
  5. Broadcom Corporation — Irvine, California, United States Jobs (Overview)
  6. Qualcomm — San Diego, California, United States\ Jobs (Overview)
  7. Micron Technology — Boise, Idaho, United States Jobs (Overview)
  8. Applied Materials — Santa Clara, California, United States Jobs (Overview)
  9. Nvidia Corporation — Santa Clara, California, United States Jobs (Overview)
  10. Texas Instruments Inc. — Dallas, Texas, United States Jobs (Overview)

DETAILED LIST OF THE 10 LARGEST

Taiwan is the country that produces the most number of chips globally, thanks to TSMC – Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, which controls 51% of the global chip market.

Uh, no.
You might be thinking of “Santa Clarita,” a Right-Wing exurb of Los Angeles.

Sure but clearly we can make them in the US or US-friendly areas if necessary, as we already are

I just assume if it starts with “San” then it’s in socal :grimacing:

There are plenty of exceptions to that “rule.”
San Mateo
Santa Rosa
San Ramon
San Luis Obispo (who don’t like being called SoCal)

Heck, even Santa Barbara folks (looking @Triweasel) don’t like being called SoCal (but they are).

TIL, I’ve only been to California once and it was as a kid when we went to San Diego and it was cold :yellowcard: (there’s no yellow card!?)

What’s funny is that I’d bet goverment agencies equivalently derail their conversations on impending WWIII to clarify the nuances of Californian geography.

2 Likes

I don’t really care one way or the other. The only distinction that matters is the buffer zone between Carpenteria and Ventura. If that ever gets developed then we’re effectively L.A. suburbs, like Ventura has become in the last few decades.

I grew up in silicon valley before it was all built up and it was always called NorCal but honestly if you look at the map I’ll bet about 90% of Californians live in the southern half of the state.

real NorCal is like real western TX. It’s half the area but no one knows who lives there.

Hey, at least we’d fully fund our pension obligations