Smoking and grilling

my wife will slow cook with rub in the oven, then i will finish and glaze sauce on the grill

I slow-cook with homemade rub in the oven (I can’t get my grill down low enough), use the juices to make the sauce, then top-broil in the oven as well (I’d rather not get my grill all saucy).
Now, I’m hungry for ribs.

Next time my bro-in-law is working (media production) in Atlanta, I’m coming by, AI!

I’m hosting guests for the ATL vs CLE game Sunday, 2 of which are from Germany and have never been to a football game. I gave them a long list of options for the entree, and told them to pick one or 2. They chose ribs and cuban sandwiches

Sounds yummy.
No real football this weekend? Shame.

We never lose the tailgate

1 Like

I bought a capon today. I wonder how long it will take to cook. I usually get chickens that weigh about 4-5 pounds, and they usually cook in a little over an hour, plus time to rest.

But my daughter has been asking for chicken with ginger and scallions, which is something i make with leftover roast chicken. It works okay if i cut up the leftover chicken, cover it in chicken broth, and freeze. (And defrost to add the ginger and scallions, of course.) So i think a nice fat capon should give me something for the freezer.

1/2 a bone in butt hit the smoker a couple hours ago

Spice rubbed NY strip with avocado salsa tonight.

1 Like

Stuffed pork loin in adobo

1 Like

Thanksgiving #2: made a stuffed turkey breast on the smoker.

1 Like

Pork chops 2 ways from the grill: Japanese bbq and mustard vinaigrette

I won a pizza oven last week so tonite we tried steak. Got the grill up to 600-800 freedom units. Cooked both sides for 3.5 to 4 minutes then rest for 5.

It was pretty burnt and well done. Next time 2.5 to 3 minutes.
Still tasted pretty good though.

This is the oven that we won:

1 Like

Freedom units? Is that like degrees Fahrenheit? When I worked at a pizza place we did thin crusts for 5:45 and thick crusts for 6:20. I think that was at around 650 degrees?

Geez, it’s been 30 years. I guess I’m allowed to forget some things.

I do recall we had a 14 minute guarantee for carry-out orders Sunday - Thursday. (Guaranteed in under 15 minutes!)

Well I had a guy come in to pick up his carry out pizza order that he’d placed 7 minutes earlier. He saw the cook put the pizza in the oven and insisted that we’d have to compensate him because obviously we were going to miss the 14 minute guarantee. I explained no, it only takes 5:45, so it would be ready in time.

No… pizza takes 20 minutes to cook.

Uh… you think we offer a 14 minute guarantee when we know it takes 20 minutes after it’s in the oven???

High five on the pizza place job. Place I worked had the conveyor style convection oven that I think was around 475F with a 6:10 belt timing. We could push the thin crusts in a bit and grab then out early and they were done…full time was a bit crispier but not burnt.

We made all our own pizza dough and shredded cheese (from blocks). This went to pre-made stuff a few years after I was off to college and an internship, and the pizza was not very good after that.

I recently (like < 2 months ago) finally figured out how to make a good fully home made pizza. I had pizza stones and understood the concept, but somehow never connected how to get a freshly made pizza onto them (we had the perforated metal discs for the oven and peels where I worked). Then I discovered rolling out the dough and assembling pizza on parchment paper that my SO had lying around, using a flat cookie sheet as the peel. Heat up that pizza stone to 475F in the oven and perfectly cooked fresh pizza in about 7-8 minutes (no convection) transferring the pizza and paper to the stone.

2 Likes

475 huh? Maybe I’m remembering the temperature wrong. I never actually made the pizzas. I worked at the counter, was a hostess and waitress. I mean, occasionally I made my own pizza, but I was never assigned to pizza-making.

They realized that I was good with money so they mostly had me working up front until I was old enough to serve alcohol (only 19 in Ohio to serve in an open container).

That said, I’m sure it was more than 475 degrees… I distinctly recall it being hotter than our oven at home could go. But maybe less than 650. I’ll have to ask one of my buddies who worked there longer than I did and did make pizzas.

Looking online, the 475 seems like a reasonable temp for the conveyor style convection oven.

I feel like I had a similar reaction initially that it seemed much hotter than the oven at home, but knowing what my parents cooked, i doubt they ever had to use the oven set above 400f.

I used to sear roasts at 450F, but i find there’s significantly less spattering at 425, and the result is still good. I don’t think I’ve ever set my home oven above 475, though.

I’m at 425-450 for roasted cauliflower, but most other things are 400 or less.

475 at home is pretty rare, but i think most ovens can do it.

Blaze Pizza and MOD Pizza say their ovens run at 600-800 degrees F.

1 Like

I thought this was the general temp range for commercial pizza ovens. Makes them faster, so can sell more in a fixed amount of time. And since there isn’t any topping that is raw, no need to cook them either (full disclosure: no research).