Smoking and grilling

These are the temps for wood or coal fired pizza ovens. Pizza Hut and the like use the 450-500 range from what I understand.

And let’s not even start on tandoori ovens.

There used to be a similar pizza place near me called ‘1,000 Degree Pizza.’ But I got a good look at the digital display on the oven once and it was set to 800° iirc. Liars!!!

I am pretty sure Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns all use the conveyor style ovens rather than a brick oven, with the conveyor ovens running the lower temps around 500F.

Last time I smoked lamb ribs, they were a bit fatty for my taste. However, they made good chili. Today I smoked lamb ribs and tomatoes, and both went straight into chili. I had leftover whole dried chiles from a few weeks ago when I made adobo, so I used those as my base for the chili. It’s an experiment, results pending.

That was the name. I knew there was one like that. The bit I read said the top of the ovens can get to 1000-1200 degrees, so it probably depends on where the thermometer was.

This place had gas ovens, and from what I recall (and I could be wrong!) that was the temp they had the oven set to, not a thermometer reading the actual temp. Anywho.

That reminds me, I want to say in Vegas - somewhere, there was/is a pizza place called 800° pizza.

A little googling indicates there are chains that go by “1000 degree pizza”, “900 degree pizza” and “800 degree pizza” at least.

Seven minute abs!

1 Like

Grilled some chicken shawarma yesterday. This one js in the regular grilling rotation. Served with diced tomatoes and a lemon garlic yogurt sauce.

2 Likes

You make your own spice mix for all the mediterranean/mid-eastern stuff or buy?

I sometimes buy commercial rubs and sauces, but I make most of the rubs. Cheaper and easier to customize to preference. I also find many commercial rubs too salty for my taste. I make periodic trips to a big farmers market that sells cheap bulk spices.

The shawarma rub is both easy and tasty. You should try it. A regular cook probably has most of the spices in the pantry. I use this recipe as my base, and use the rub as is (sometimes varying the amount of cayenne depending on mood):

My cooking notes:
Use boneless skinless thighs
Marinate overnight
Chicken usually takes longer to cook than recommended by the recipe
Strongly recommend grilling some red onion along with the chicken
I serve on pita with the grilled onion, diced tomatoes, and the yogurt sauce
The yogurt sauce in the recipe needs a little more flavor. I add a little more garlic and cumin, S&P, lemon zest, and enough lemon juice to get the sauce consistently I want. When you mince the garlic, sprinkle some kosher salt on it and repeatedly smash with the flat side of a chef’s knife. This will turn it into a paste, which helps evenly distribute it in the sauce.

2 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever read a recipe where I didn’t add more garlic. Use the paste technique often already so familiar with that at least.

I always enjoy eating those flavor profiles but almost never make it myself. Need to just do more spice experimentation. Bland grocery options around where I live don’t help with that much sadly.

No truer words ever posted.

Very good call.

You definitely need to try it then. Its an easy recipe.

I assume there is a theoretical limit to how much garlic I’d like, but I don’t know that I’ve ever found it. I typically double whatever is in the recipe.

At least for cooked garlic. I’m sure there is a lower limit for raw garlic and I don’t go crazy there.

Do you have any Asian or Latino grocery stores? Or just an aisle for things like that? I shop at a local grocery store that has a pretty solid selection of spices over there in the ‘international’ section. Not only is there a good selection, they are a lot cheaper than if you get them in the ‘regular’ spice aisle.

There is a Tienda I haven’t been in close by. Had my eye on it for some scratch al pastor at some point that I haven’t gotten around to yet either. Need to give it a shot as well.

This. Cooked garlic has a mellow flavor so you can go nuts. Too much raw garlic can be overpowering.

I have a local spice merchant. https://www.thespicehouse.com/

The quality of their stuff compared to the best store bought spices is remarkable.

It’s like comparing the flavor of fresh squeezed OJ in Florida in the summer to diluted Tang in Ontario in February.

Hmm, I should do that again

1 Like