Smoking and grilling

Grilled mahi mahi tacos tonight

3 Likes

Did chicken shawarma on the grill today. This was a first time recipe. I wanted to replicate the experience you get when it’s a mix of tender bits and crispy bits when it’s carved off the gyro, so I grilled the chicken and made chicken cracklins out of the skin. Worked great. Served on grilled pita with diced tomatoes, grilled red onion, cracklins, and lemon garlic yogurt sauce

1 Like

I “grilled” a chicken today, but the weather was iffy, so i used the broiler. I chopped a whole chicken into parts (back, wings, legs, thighs, and four pieces of breast) and cooked it skin up until that was golden, then flipped it and browned the bottoms a bit.

Came out slightly overcooked, since it was a small chicken. But not as badly overcooked as rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.

Bonus round: since the cooker was hot I threw a few Italian eggplants on that will become babaganoush tomorrow

1 Like

I did a ~9lb pork shoulder and a large rack of ribs today. It’s pork so it came out great. Found some fresh corn and baby leeks, and we made German potato salad, which I haven’t had in a long time. I’m normally 50/50 on whether I’d eat potato salad, but German stuff, or if it has maybe a good shot of dill? Yes, please.

2 Likes

Green goddess chicken on the grill tonight

1 Like

I did grilled (in a frying pan) duck breasts last night. God that’s easy! I just let them quietly sizzle while i prepared the rest of supper.

Score the skin, so the fat will render
Salt and pepper
Place skin down on a cast iron frying pan. Fiddle with the heat a little until it sounds right.

Prep the rest of supper.
Remove excess fat once or twice. (It’s delicious for frying popcorn or roasting potatoes.)
Check once or twice to see if the skin is golden and crispy.
Flip to cook the meat side a little.

I pre-heated the oven, because when I’ve made larger breasts I’ve finished them in the oven on low, but these were fully cooked after the skin was done and the flesh side was seared. So i just rested them while i nuked the cauliflower.

last night baby lamb chops. marinated all day

1 Like

You can use the molten goose grease and save it in the refrigerator, thus saving you a trip to the store for a can of expensive goose grease.

Yes, i keep both goose fat and duck fat in my fridge.

I do like hearing about what the rest of you are cooking. I really like pictures too.

1 Like

I do recommend the green goddess chicken if any of you feel like trying it. It was originally an oven roasted chicken recipe, but I think it’s an easy and tasty adaptation for the grill/smoker. As usual with chicken, a little bit of smoke goes a long way.

and now I own a blackstone, after father’s day.

the assembly will be fun

1 Like

Grilled some beef suya and sweet potatoes tonight

Not in the smoking/grilling category but I made a killer crab and mushroom cheesecake with a green onion coulis today for a family gathering

Nontraditional surf and turf of oysters Rockefeller and sausages. The oysters are rich enough that the bangers will be leftovers

Did a beer butt chicken over the weekend for the first time in a couple years. It was good, but I was reminded whey I don’t do it more often because I can buy a cooked rotisserie one cheaper at the grocery store and it tasted basically the same.

Now, if I had a smoker (instead of my Genesis) I think it would be much better.

I also used my new flame boss wifi thermometer. That worked great.

2 Likes

Keeping it simple today

1 Like

Tbe iGrill or something else?
IGrill app is ok, only disadvantages are that it’s stuck to the grill ( I’d like to have four probes in the kitchen) and it is only an Apple App.

When i roast a chicken, i don’t cook it as much as rotisserie chickens. I pull it right before it hits 165F, and it reaches temp as it rests. Mine are much juicier than rotisserie chicken from the store, which are always dry and overcooked.

Also, the chickens i buy are larger, so i end up with leftovers. Whether that’s good or bad depends.

It’s not quite as easy as having something from the deli counter, but it’s one of the easiest meals i cook, so i roast chicken a lot.

(I prefer roast chicken to smoked chicken. Smoked is okay, but i prefer chicken flavor.)