Shortages and stuff

I need a catalytic converter for my vehicle (not stolen, my old beast is just so old it needs one) and there are none to be found for sale at the moment.

Have you checked the ‘secondary market?’

2 Likes

My understanding is that the CC thieves sell them as scrap metal, as they can get a couple of hundred bucks worth of precious metal scrap from a $2000 cat converter.

I wouldn’t buy used auto parts.

That’s my understanding as well, and I was just joking. For a variety of reasons I’m sure you won’t be shopping for a second hand converter.

My home printer died. Buying a new one is harder than i expected.

And we ended up paying more for a dishwasher we liked less, because it was available.

I was going to point you to this thread but then realized that you’re probably already aware of it… Recommend a printer/scanner for me

1 Like

The one I have is an HP Office Jet Pro 8028. I think I got it at Costco, so it might not be there anymore.
More importantly: find out how much the replacement cartridges are. Two sets of replacement cartridges cost more than the printer.
This one’s pretty nice. Can print from phones on the wifi.
Sometimes, the printer won’t work from my work PC, cuz work PC’s spooler gets full. I have a web page favorited when it happens. (Or, just restart the PC.) Or, the work PC says it’s “offline” when every other device in the house can print.

Try Staples online. Should send it no shipping charge, but I’m not a sales rep for them so don’t quote that.

1 Like

And how many pages they print. Laser jet cartridges are pricey but do like 2k pages.

I walked into Staples looking for ink a week or two ago and came out with a new printer. (For less than the cost of the ink for the old one)

1 Like

Laser printers are also more expensive. And if Lucy needs color, then it’s way over my spending comfort. (I need color and scanning, because some state DOI’s require a blue ink signature.)
Then again, if I had room for a b&W-only printer, I’d get laser. I might need volume-printing for a side volunteer job (used to do that at work – don’t tell!).

To keep on topic: I have noticed that brick/mortar stores don’t have a lot of variation. They have turned into “high-volume, whatever is sold the most” places instead of shopping venues. Even grocery stores. Looking for Near East Tabouleh. Low-end stores don’t have that box, so have to go to higher-end store. Looking for orzo, low-end stores seem to be out of a lot of pastas, but higher-end store had it.

So, when Lucy walks into the local Staples, they might not have the printer she wants, but the online store should have it.
(I’m partial to HP. Call it a weakness.)

How much are the ink refills for the new machine?

I’ve found that they’ll sell the printer at a loss and make up for it with the ink sales.

Nope. But two weeks after asking to be notified when it came back in stock, we’ve ordered it.

We got an HP color laserjet. A similar printer by a different company became available before this did, but there were an awful lot of reviews saying people couldn’t get a Mac to talk to it.

Laserjets have come down a lot in price. The cartridges have gotten smaller and are pricy. But they do give you a waterproof document. And if you don’t print for a month, you don’t need to worry about the ink drying up.

1 Like

Yeah but if:
[printer + ink] < [ink]
then you could just buy a new printer every time.

I have observed this phenomenon with disposable razors.

5 replacement blades cost $25
starter kit with handle & 2 blades costs $8

It’s cheaper to buy the starter kit every time.

It might not even be that innumerate if it’s a different kind of ink in the printer / ink example.

Problem is if the ink included in the new printer is only a starter size and not a traditional size cartridge. Ask me how I know.

1 Like

In my case the ink dries out before I use it all up so that would be irrelevant. I’ve replaced cartridges after printing like 4 or 5 sheets of paper.

1 Like

I’ve had the, let’s see here, HP M255DW color laserjet for two years now and it’s been great. I had forgotten about ink drying out on inkjet printers but the sales guy at Office Depot mentioned that. He had a short sleeve button down shirt and a leather phone holster, so I had great trust in his opinions on printers.

3 Likes

Depends on how shitty the handles are, and whether they need to be replaced as often.

Because, I see 5 blades at $15 = $3 per blade.
And 2 blades at $8 = $4 per blade.

I bought a whole lot of blades during a Costco sale once. I still had a lot of them left when they discontinued that model but then I lost the handle. I couldn’t use those blades until several years later when I visited Portugal and found they were still selling the old version.

1 Like

Let’s not forget this lovely printer interaction:

Me: Hey printer, please print this Black and White document for me. You have plenty of black ink!

Printer: I am out of cyan.

Me: That’s ok, just print b&w, as I know you have plenty of black ink.

Printer: F.U. I am out of motherf&$%ing CYAN!

3 Likes

:flushed:

Oops! I meant 5 for $25! I will fix it.

ETA: fixed!

1 Like