Shortages and stuff

To help calibrate, what’s the octane between “regular” and “premium”. Also, does one (or both) blended with ethanol?

I’m used to seeing 85, 87, 91, and 93 (varies by locale). I generally see ~$0.30 difference between lowest octane available and next highest (both with 10% ethanol); and ~$0.80 between 85 octane (with 10% ethanol) and 91 octane (no ethanol) around my local gas stations.

IIRC, 87/91. Sign says up to 10% ethanol, but doesn’t distinguish between grades.

1 Like

I’ll bet that the 91 is sans ethanol . . .

We have 87/89/91 octane at most places here. It used to be common to see 0.10 difference in prices back when it was like $2 a gallon. It stayed that way for a long time and I thought it was weird - it would be like $3.49/$3.59/$3.69

This latest run-up in prices has led to much bigger differences. Like $5.09/$5.49/$5.89

Not sure how they set those prices but something changed recently

I thought the climate people keep telling us we have too much CO2. Now we have a shortage? Got to be a conspiracy here.

2 Likes

So IPAs cause climate change and sea level rising?

More reason not to drink them, besides of course how bitter and bad they taste.

Nitrogen or GTFO.

2 Likes

I always thought the brewing process produced it’s own co2. I know practically nothing about beer though.

That was what I thought as well. I knew that the fermentation of yeast produced CO2 as a byproduct, that is what makes the bread rise. So I assumed that was the CO2 that they used to make it fizzy.

I haven’t read carefully any of the homebrew threads here so I may have missed it if they mentioned using compressed CO2 like they do for soda pop. I wonder if the soda streamers are seeing this issue?

Natural carbonation does occur, but most brewers add carbonation these days. I think a lot of home brews rely on natural carbonation though.

Are we doing the end of shortages here?

1 Like

“Stop making them so durable!! Be like Apple!!”

1 Like

A lot of bees are trucked to CA to pollinate the almonds, and those that survive are then trucked to areas where they can make a lot of honey. Yeah, they are migrant workers.

I mostly buy honey from beekeepers who don’t move their hives around. At least i know it’s actually honey. Well, to the extent i trust the beekeepers. But mostly i do. And it’s more interesting honey. Although…i admit a weakness for honey from the blueberry fields of Maine that is really bland as honey goes. Just pure sweetness with a fun texture.

1 Like

We’re going to have a shortage of shortages?

3 Likes

I wonder if Fox with be reporting on missing the shortage forecast.

I had a friend who was a PHd candidate in Geology or Paleontology, real sciency. He would buy honey from the store and test it to see what kind of pollen it contained. He said the no name from Meijers contained no measurable pollen.

1 Like

Consuming local honey has been reported to help with allergy symptoms in some studies. However, it’s not conclusive as other studies have failed to show a benefit. It can’t hurt to support your local beekeepers though.

2 Likes

30 Amp fused for my central AC. everyone is out. Found a tiny hardware store that happened to have 2 packages left…

Zut alors!!!