San Diego

We’re not able to actually register/book hotel yet are we? I keep looking for this but want to make sure I haven’t missed something.

Also, potential for covid/delta cancelling at this point?

You’re supposed to book the hotel first, even if you haven’t cleared it with your boss. Somewhere in the thread, someone said the host hotel is already booked up. Bunch of other hotels in walking distance. I’ve stayed at the US Grant downtown. Nice old-style hotel.
Fun story: The SOA decided to have their Spring meetings back-to-back in Maui, in 1998. I booked the hotel two years in advance, then moved jobs twice and made sure the company I worked for would reimburse before accepting the offer. (I turned down a job as “the only company actuary” when they said, “Well, as long as the meeting not somewhere like, oh, Hawaii or someplace, sure, we’ll reimburse it.”)
Moral: The hotels book up fast, but they’re also refundable or have no deposit whatsoever to refund. This advice also works for nearly any vacation.

Delta cancel probability: 60%. (IMO, no bet-placing.)

I don’t feel like you’ve helped me :laughing:

I can’t help you with the time of the ceremony.
But, if you’re this close, I can get you that beer I owe you!

1 Like

If you’re for real, I think I’ll probably be there by myself (no family in tow) so will definitely be up for making some plans. Feel free to reach out (looks like I can’t DM you?), happy to exchange details.

I just messaged you within this forum.
Not sure how for real, as it would be mainly a 100+mile (one-way) day-trip to meet up with CAS’ers.

We’re bombing beer pubs, at 1800 hours. I’d be leaving before dawn, coming in from the north.
Wife: “When will you be back?”
Me: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”

1 Like

OK, at the Honolulu-lulu meeting in 2019, on the first full day (Monday) there was a “Celebration of New Members” session at 8AM (for all attendees, though there was a continental breakfast concurrent to this), then a group picture for new F’sCAS at 8:45AM, then an “Officers’ Reception for New Fellows and their Spouses/Guests” at 5:30PM (until 6:30PM).

Whether or not COVID affects group activities, I don’t know. Heck, I’m not even CAS, so why are you reading this??

1 Like

More importantly, we got to ride guardians of the galaxy for free!

In Honolulu??
Or was this another year?

oh crap not honolulu lol. I was thinking about anaheim. Honolulu was just a dinner I think. was boring.

Before registration has even opened? At least, I haven’t seen anything indicating registration has opened. Last notice said sometime in August. I was assuming the hotel was full because rooms were blocked off for this purpose. Maybe peple have already booked the hotel before registering I guess??

Wait you can book the hotel before registering? What does everyone advise?

yes book the hotel before registering. as soon as you hear where it is and know to ask for the “CAS group”. it is your option then. that’s also why it fills up fast.

Do we know which hotel it is in yet?

Yes.

The in-person component will be held at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, California,

I checked the hotel on the Marriott website and there seems to be plenty of availability for the conference dates. However there are a lot of nice hotels in downtown San Diego within walking distance.

??? Says sold out for me.

nvm. I was attempting to book sat-sat. Conference dates are indeed fine.

If you want to stay for additional days and have to switch hotels, try the Omni, Pendry, or Andaz.

1 Like

The U.S. Grant is nice.
And The Del, if you really want to splurge, old-style. Maybe, go back in time, find the woman who recently gave you a watch, fall in love with her in the past, then get all Twilight-Zoned-like…

RN. My mom liked that movie.