San Diego

Hmm. I don’t hang out alone with men without my husband’s permission, but I consider a public place, like a restaurant or bar, to be adequately chaperoned.

I did once have an interview with a man at a restaurant that had a weird “cheating” vibe to it. But the guy didn’t even offer me the job, let alone anything less appropriate.

cases are going up oh man

Are you vaccinated? Are you comfortable meeting new people and introducing yourself and all that jazz? Is the cost of transport, the event, and the lodgings covered? Then you should totally go!

I love in person CAS events, and if you get the chance to go, you should jump at it. You can make network contacts, meet recruiters, learn new actuary things, get CE credit, eat decent food in large ballrooms, get new ideas, or even bail on the whole thing and nap in your room and see beautiful San Diego. If the cost is covered, then from my perspective you’d need a good reason not to go.

3 Likes

Is anyone’s company not allowing them to go? Does your company also pay for spouses?

1 Like

This. Hotels and airfare are expensive. When you can get them covered, you go. I mean, the Marriott Marquis will be good enough, it’s no Hotel Del, when the SOA had meetings in, oh, 1991?

2 Likes

Thank you, and @colonelsmoothie and @epistemus !

I’m thankfully vaccinated, and the whole thing would be covered through my employer. Sounds like a compelling argument to attend!

How full is the agenda for these meetings? Never been to one. All day sessions, or morning only, etc?

Not sure what will happen this time, but usually Full day (9-5) Monday and Tuesday, half day Wednesday, with a optional (but usually pretty good) dinner on one of the nights.

1 Like

I think all the actuaries from my company are going.

I have a noobie question. In the CAS member directory, how do you differentiate between an associate and a fellow?

By their shoes, of course!

3 Likes

That makes sense! I mean, where else am I supposed to look when talking to people?

3 Likes

I use this when searching for actuaries: Search - Actuary Directory

1 Like

My chances of going are quite slim

Hm. Was planning on possibly taking the whole week to extend it into a vacation, but the venue hotel says it’s already sold out. Even for just the extra days. I’m assuming conference registration will include blocked room availability?

I just became an FCAS and want to go to this, but I might not be able to make it due to other events going on that I can’t miss. If I go in the spring instead, will I still be recognized as a new fellow? Or will that only happen if I go to San Diego in November?

I don’t want to miss out on anything.

I forgot how to do this exactly but I’m pretty sure you can contact the CAS and defer your recognition.

Is the new FCAS ceremony always on the same day/time of the conference and if so does anyone know when that is? My parents might be near San Diego at the time so they may come see… (assuming that’s allowed)

It’s usually in the morning but I think at some point the formal agenda will be available to download.

Whoever the announcer dude is, usually does a really good job with the names. I was amazed he went through the Thai ones without stuttering.