Running thread

I’ve done a few tiny runs here and there. Have probably run as much as 3 miles in a go about a year ago. Haven’t done lifting for about 3 years now. Getting back into both at the same time, now it hurts just to stand or sit.

running today

it was a bad choice

I’ve actually kept it up. At least 4x a week so far. Still keeping it under 20 mins with varying degrees of intensity so my heart doesn’t explode from the hiatus. Our neighborhood is very hilly…only tried that once. Won’t again soon I don’t think.

1 Like

ah I am dreading the day my kid can beat me in a foot race

I still use a regular old watch but my wife has had an apple watch for the last 2 years and just recently got a new one. I have been running with her old watch on the other wrist to track my heart rate (I wish my watch had this feature in college/high school!) and use my regular watch to record split times and recovery (it is hard to manipulate the apple watch touch screen with sweaty hands)

Does anyone else wear a smart watch?

:ctm:

The line I have drawn in the sand is that I will accept it when he is a teenager, but not before. He turns 13 in March, so only have nine more months to hold him off.

1 Like

When I was running more seriously I had one of those fancy Garmin watches.

Now, I wear my standard smart watch. It has a running setting that will tell me how far I have gone and the mile split for each mile. It might tell me more if I bothered to mess with the settings, but that is enough for me these days.

For a track workout where you know the distance, IMO, a normal watch is all you need.

I use an apple watch mainly for heart rate and splits. If i"m doing a longer session, I try to keep the heart rate below 160 until the last 10 minutes or so. I would like to try wearing a second watch with a chest strap some time to see how accurate the wrist measurement is.

Wanted to run this morning but it has been consistently in the 90s even by 6 AM. Not looking to die.

Did bench presses and squats instead, might run late at night when it should be in the 60s.

1 Like

I use a Garmin

Staying alive is good.

I used to dread it as well. I started pacing his younger sister in 5ks so that I wouldn’t have to deal with the reality.

Then he started competing in high school. Then he started breaking 5m miles, then 4:30, then…

I had great fun cheering for him at state meets. I had great fun cheering for him at D1 meets. I had great fun cheering for him at NCAA D1 National meets.

I miss those days.

I hope your kids also make you look like you’re standing still.

2 Likes

Wow, making it to nationals is a big deal

Did you son keep running competitively after college?

Nope. He said he had had enough. He said he knew he was fast, but not fast enough to compete and win at the next level. Some of his teammates continued to run competitively. They moved to Flagstaff. They received sponsorships and various deals and arrangements. I would see them pacing the 1st half of major marathons or read about their races. My son spent the next 6-7 years living a vagabond lifestyle as a contractor to the USFS and moving from forest to forest, and loving every minute of it.

Today he’s a HS coach.

not a bad life, I assume your son and I are probably around the same age (30 ish)

I would like to get into high school coaching after I retire (hopefully soon)

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk

I’m a woman’s man, no time to talk

1 Like

My running has been terrible the last two months. Covid + heat + vacation since may 1 and I’m at less than half my average from the last two years. Ugh.

An actudonk he is not. I admire his non-traditional spirit.

I always thought CC and T&F were great sports for kids. There’s a boy’s team AND a girl’s team. It’s a great way for kids to hang out and socialize with each other. His HS team always had an overnight trip or two. I always hauled them to the NXN races as well. When he was running in college, he made some great friends and got to travel the country (Seattle, Los Angeles, Boston, Wisco, Texas, Drake, Florida, Kentucky, MN, etc.) on the school’s dime. He even flew 1st class sometimes after a National meet.

Chase your dreams, if it’s in coaching, go for it - the world can always use more people having a positive influence on kids. we’ve got plenty of actudonks.

2 Likes

How far are you guys getting in this heat? My mask got soaked today at 4.5 miles and it was getting hard to breathe so I called it a day. Usually it doesn’t get too wet though.