Running thread

You’re running outdoors with a mask? Are you at Coachella or something?

2 Likes

KN95 most of the day including at the gym but I let myself use a surgical when running. I did a half marathon with one so I decided it was fine to just wear one permanently.

That’s probably good training for the pike’s peak marathon to simulate altitude running.

I’m back into running mode. 4x a week is my goal.
T, R is speed work (I usually get about 3.5 miles)
F is a slow 4 miler
Sat is long (currently on 6 miles this week and upping this each week)
Goal is the VA 10 miler 9/24 (Sub 80 minutes and goal weight 180#) and the CarMax/Richmond VA HM 11/12 (1:45:00 and goal weight 170#) As of today, 7/21, I am 195#s.

I also get on a bike at the gym 2x a week and try to a long Sunday ride. After one of the rides I like to run a small amount - usually 2 miles. I have to physically drive then get on the bike to find safe roads so this is tough to motivate myself for long rides (20 miles +) RN. Swimming is on hold cause I have a shoulder injury that I am in PT for. Maybe mid August I will be back.

Trying to decide/train/motivate myself into doing the Roanoke IM in 2023 (I’ll be 50 y/o so why the FLICK not!)

2 Likes

I’m gonna try for my 10k PR next week. Hopefully if the temps are in the 60s as forecasted I’ll have a good chance. I felt horrible yesterday but I do think it was my slightly-less-than 10k PR as it’s the pace I plan for next Wed.

2 Likes

I’ve been running 5-7 times a week for a couple months now. usually run 3-5 miles, with some 6 or 7 on one weekend day. (depends on ball schedule. can’t run long while stuck at the fields watching/umping.)

have a 5k next week. that is the longest distance I have the mental stamina to try and run for time. will see if the handful of interval sessions i have done can create any speed (in a relative sense) in the 5k.

2 Likes

Pikes Peak Ascent is just over 8 weeks away. I went to a state with mountains and did a 45 minute run up 6% (gentle enough to run rather than walk). I’ve been walking on a treadmill at a much higher gradient 12-15% but the running was such a shock that I was stiff for 3 days after.

So, my new training on the treadmill is incorporating both running at lower gradients and walking at higher gradients. I lessen the speed at higher gradients and will check my heart rate to get a sense of how much slower it should be. I try to change the gradient every 5 minutes so that I’m not running at the same angle in my ankles/knees/hips for too long.

2 Likes

one week to go for the 5k. today had 2 x 800m, 1x 400m, and then 2x 200m. i had 0 idea what pace would be or feel like or whatever.

the 800’s were in 3:02 and 3:04 and were even split at the 400.
the 800 was in 92 seconds.
the 200’s were in 43 and 42 seconds

next week will be interesting. if i go out in 7 minutes for the first mile I won’t die, or at least not instantly. Goals were 22:30 as a baseline, with every 30 seconds better than that something to feel ok about. 8 days to go!

1 Like

5k on saturday. today was the final workout. ran 1 mile, 1 x 400, and then 4 x 200.

mile: 605
400: 88 seconds
200s - 40, 37, 40, 48. #2 was intentionally more intense. #3 was an attempt to match #1. #4 was intended to be closer to the pace I might use in the 5k. overall, i felt good about it all (but suspect I will not run close to 624/mile as #4 suggests). I have no real sense of pace these days.

How did you decide on how long to rest between 200 reps? Back in the day I did it by a set time but now (with better heart rate monitors) I would tend towards getting the heart rate down to a certain level before starting the next rep.

i more or less jog/walk the ensuing 200. ends out close to 2 min of rest, which I would argue is a lot of rest. I could go by HR and that would be better for ensuring proper rest. Sometimes (whn the routine has a session every week, and it has been a long time since then) i might adjust the rest to slower if i felt like I needed it.

when i do 200’s, it is usually about introducing to the table some turnover that i can sustain. I don’t try to run to threshold or failure anymore bc…who really cares. But i like the thought that i have turned the legs over much faster than my usual never ending streak of slow runs where the pace is always in the same neighborhood. Also, i am older and creakier and so I have to run 200s in lane 4 or wider, bc otherwise the repeated acceleration in the tight turn bugs my hips/back.

1 Like

Well I’ll see if I’m up for the 10k PR tomorrow. Trying to drink a lot and sleep early. Also ate two baguettes…

2 Likes

Temps are supposed to be around 21 degrees at 6 which is the morning low so that’s the plan.

Good luck smoothie!

Thx, heading out now, I might need to stop if I feel bad cause I didn’t feel good last week.

I did it, I beat my 10k PR by 1:35. It was actually pretty easy, I had a lot left and my heart rate was 7 bpm lower than it was last week even though I was going faster. Maybe the cooler temps, lower wind speed, increased hydration or calories helped, not sure.

4 Likes

I do heart rate. 140 is go time again. 170 seems to be my max load for 1:00 before I have to call it quits. 160 seems to be a lot of work but can get my way through it.

my regular runs seem to finish near 160. esp when it is warm and humid. intervals i get higher. (I don’t fit within the 220-age = max HR formula.) I would rest until i was below 140 though. seems like I’d be back on for an interval after 60 seconds max.

nice job! was this a race or you just running a course?

All helped - next time last mile (or even the last 800M) have at it!