RIP thread

RIP Daniel Ellsberg.

I greatly admired him. At the time the Pentagon Papers were released, many viewed him as a traitor. However he did what he did out of a love for his country and history has vindicated him.

3 Likes

Paxton Whitehead

“National Security” <> “We, the government people in charge, will be embarrassed if this truth got out, so let’s just keep this to ourselves.”

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d call him a star of Frasier when he only appeared in a single episode. It was funny though (he was the headmaster of the prep school Frasier & Lilith were trying to get Frederick into).

He had a slightly larger role in Friends, playing the role of Emily’s uncle / Rachel’s boss. (Emily = Ross’s second wife)

Regardless, RIP.

IFYP

Also, he had two great guest appearances as Bernard on The West Wing: “C.J., your necklace is a monument to bourgeois taste.” RIP

Oh, right… uncle! And he was Rachel’s boss. That’s how Ross & Emily met. Post fixed.

My TI-30XA CAS-approved exam calculator, used to pass exams between 1996-2003, passed away this morning. Cause of death was two dead GPA76 batteries.
Taking over the responsibilities of number crunching will be a solar-powered Casio FX-300ES PLUS on sale for $12.69 at Target.

2 Likes

That’s gonna mess with your monthly budget.

Surrounded by number two pencils and exam paper.

1 Like

RIP Titanic dudes

2 Likes

You know those batteries are available on ebay at a price from 12cents to 50cents each depending on quantity purchased.

My CAS-stamped calculator was a TI BAII, not a TI-30. When did they approve the TI-30’s?

RIP refugees: your story got buried by the Titanic dudes’ coverage.

2 Likes

Certainly more resources were devoted to trying to rescue the Titanic sightseeing victims than to rescuing the refugees in the Mediterranean.

3 Likes

I think it’s up to 300 now -

Mine too. I think that it was about 2001 when calculators available in stores were approved. Ti-30 Xiis was first I think.

6 Likes

I initially posted this in the RIP for Actuaries thread but it looks like an inactive thread. I felt his death merited a wider audience so posting here.

Tony Williams passed away today.

Tony was a personal friend and an actuary who made a major difference in the Indigenous community in Canada. The Canadian Institute of Actuaries did a lovely interview (link below) this year with him after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

RIP Tony

9 Likes