RIP thread

Dude, starting off a post in the RIP thread by mentioning the missus causes me anxiety .

5 Likes

I see that now. Long live Mrs F. She is alive and well

3 Likes

But is she kicking?

1 Like

RIP George Winston, a jazz / blues / folk pianist / guitarist / harmonica-ist.

His album Autumn was my introduction to ā€œnew ageā€ music, I guess, and Iā€™ve loved his work ever since.

Fun fact, I got to see him in concert when he came to St. Louis a couple of years ago! I heard that he was coming, decided to buy some tickets, and got like 10. Took kids and person I was dating and some parents a couple of other adults too, it was a great time. He performed without shoes - socks only.

I have a book of sheet music, and it is my wish to eventually be able to play each one of those pieces, though I donā€™t have any realistic expectations that Iā€™ll do any of them any justice.

hereā€™s a great version of Carol of the Bells from December which highlights several aspects of his play style - independence of melody and harmony, strong and sustained pedal, and eventually incredibly complex fingering.

6 Likes

RIP Piano Master. Iā€™ve probably hear the December album >100 times, starting from childhood and also using it as calming instrumental music while studying for exams.

Hereā€™s one of my favorite pieces he performed, the live video elevates how impressive it is, I got to see it live at a NYE concert many years ago.

6 Likes

Seems more fitting to put this one here . . .

That is awesome! Made my day.

I can do the left hand of L&L or one finger of the right hand of L&L, but not both at the same time.
Gonna start on two-or-more fingers of the right hand, next time Iā€™m near a piano. All by ear, and it takes 30 minutes or so to get a few notes in a row correct. Yes, Iā€™m that bad.

1 Like

My father told me ā€œif you canā€™t say something nice about a person, donā€™t say anythingā€. So I am just posting the announcement of this death without a comment.

I make a few exceptions to that rule and posted this in the burn in hell thread.

2 Likes

ā€œYou should never say bad things about the dead, only goodā€¦ Joan Crawford is dead. Good.ā€
Bette Davis

4 Likes

ā€¦

yeah Iā€™m going to a different thread

3 Likes

Treat Williams great actor. Tragic.

RIP Silvio Berlusconi. Polarizing Italian politician. Introduced ā€œbunga bungaā€ to English dictionaries.

Cormac McCarthy - 89

Itā€™s amazing he got those last two novels out just in time.

RIP Cormac. Thanks for many hours of pleasurable reading.

2 Likes

He showed a lot of promise and did well in several tours.

1 Like

:cry:

Thatā€™s so awful. Itā€™s such a dangerous sport. I canā€™t believe they didnā€™t used to wear helmets. But mountain descents can be so treacherous. Was it raining? Either wayā€¦