RIP thread

growing up, my friend’s father was a MAD writer and artist

2 Likes

I didn’t read a lot of comic books when I was a kid, at least the super hero kinds from Marvel and DC.

But I loved Mad and Cracked for the satirical and parody stuff -and innuendo stuff too-, and I read a lot of them in the 70’s and early 80’s.

I didn’t know Al Jaffee had been still alive, but I was a fan.

4 Likes

One of my favourite recent Al Jaffee fold-ins:

“The fold-in from the Nov. 2001 issue asked, ‘What mind-altering experience is leaving more and more people out of touch with reality?’ The unfolded illustration showed a crowd of people popping and snorting various substances. But when folded, the image transformed into the Fox News anchor desk.”

RIP Al.

3 Likes

In addition to Al Jaffee, the world lost another person who made adolescent boys very happy

5 Likes

1 Like

He/she was awesome -

Very short video involving King Charles -

RIP Harry Belafonte. Day-O.

3 Likes

Look forward to seeing him in a zombie jamboree someday

Perhaps in the afterlife he can finally settle the longstanding feud between Jesus and Satan.

3 Likes

Maybe he will be able to settle Jesus’ paternity once and for all.

1 Like

God… (extremely long pause)… you are NOT the father of Jesus. (Crowd goes wild, as if on cue.)

1 Like

Then Joseph to Mary: you told me you were a virgin!

1 Like

1 Like

Mourners will be throwing chairs at the graveside in his honour

2 Likes

i also remember when people would lunge at each other during that show, and the bouncers would easily catch them. i don’t think anybody actually expected to connect to their victim. it was like having a net there that they knew would catch them.

1 Like

Steve is gonna shut that right down.

1 Like

(Edited this as The Guardian’s article was much superior to the CBC one I originally posted).

I was very much into the 1960’s folk music scene and Lightfoot was at the heart of it. First saw him in concert when he was still doing gigs in high school gyms.

RIP Gord. :canada::maple_leaf: Thanks for the memories.

5 Likes