RIP Thread: Sports edition

Ray Guy - 72

Under-valued by the NFL and ignored for the HoF for way too long. Was the GOAT at his position for a long time.

You had to witness his superiority and can not look at his stats compared to modern statistics and metrics

MASTERS?

canceled

also John McVay - NFL TB executive who I always confused with John McKay their former head coach

OK, now I’m interested in modern stats regarding punters.
I would think that a stat called “average scrimmage spot after punt versus league expectation” would put him way above anyone in history.
Or, “average punt return yardage.”

There has been different enforcement of ineligible downfield on punts which may make comparisons difficult. Also, with more offensive production, fair catches are more common than 30-40 years ago. It’s not worth the risk of fumbling. I’m making that stat up based on observation

RIP Ray Guy. Best ever at his position. As a Raider fan he was the lone bright spot through some lean years. We knew we would go 3-and-out but Guy would always pin the other team deep in their own territory.

I attended a Raiders @ Rams game in the LA Coliseum about 1980 and saw him punt in person. I was the deep snapper on my HS team and a backup punter. I was in awe every time he kicked the ball. We were pretty high and every one of his punts went well above our heads. He was amazing. Glad he has gotten his due. RIP

2 Likes

It wasn’t about the depth, but the height and the hang time for the coverage team

RIP Borje Salming.

Gaylord Perry, 300 game winner and last of the great spitball pitchers, dead at 84.

RIP

2 Likes

Mills Lane 85 - long time boxing ref

Paul Silas. NBA player and coach

John Hadl, NFL QB

Best known for his number.
At least, thats what i best remember him for.

Played on that championship team that no longer exists.

which?

both had very solid careers

both all stars and champions

Hadl.
Jersey number.

Again, this forum sucks when replying. No quote button.

Hadl was a QB that wore #21

RIP Mike Leach, pirates everywhere are sad today.

So a 61 year old football coach has long term pneumonia and refuses to comment on his vaccine status -

“Leach has declined to comment on his vaccination status, too.”