RIP Thread: Sports edition

So his death can be categorized with the COVID deaths?

We’ll probably never know

1 Like

Tom Browning:

Yeah my Facebook is blowing up with this. Man, I remember that World Series. The Reds were predicted to lose… like no one thought they even had a chance. Not only did they win… they swept the series. That was such a big deal. Especially after the Bengals gave up the lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl the year before (which still stings).

Random fact: Tom Browning’s wife went into labor in the middle of game 2 (in Cincinnati) and he was the starting/winning pitcher of game 3 (in Oakland). There was a travel day in between, so one assumes he got to spend a few hours with his wife & new baby before catching a flight to Oakland (and hopefully a nap).

RIP Mr. Perfect

1 Like

Franco Harris - NFL HoF RB

With all the talk of the Immaculate Reception 50 years ago Friday and
Steelers / Raiders playing Saturday

Plus they were going to honor Harris this weekend and retire his number

The Steelers never retired Harris’ number??

wow

3 Likes

They seem pretty stingy with retiring numbers. His was only the 3rd number retired, after Ernie Stautner (70) in 1964 and Joe Greene (75) in 2014.

Football needs the numbers, as positions are restricted to ranges of numbers.

Also with only 100 two digit numbers, a 55 man roster plus a practice squad makes it hard to retire too many of them.

Many teams have a ring of honor or some similar concept rather than retiring numbers, as they do have a limited number available by position.

I agree: honor the player, the person. Not the number.

Steelers seems to have the largest disparity between great players and retired numbers

Probably easier to delay retiring numbers, else they’ll have to start retiring a shit-ton of them.

but how do you separate Green, Ham and I didn’t see what was happening until I started typing, but was going for Lambert. Blount, Shell - all played together

Based on that wiki link of retired numbers, I guess most teams do still retire some numbers. Only 3 long standing clubs apparently have a policy of not retiring numbers: Raiders, Cowboys, and Falcons. 2 other newer franchises have not retired any yet: Ravens and Texans

They do. But it is unwise to do so.
Maybe if the NFL decides to go to three digits…

and I forgot Webster

I thought I read that they stopped making that mandatory, but Google tells me I’m wrong. They did “simplify” it in 2021 though.

Easy peasy. :roll_eyes: