Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Correct, I believe, except that the person who agreed and was “replaced” was his campaign treasurer, who may or may not be a fiduciary. Not a relationship I would expect is fiduciary, but perhaps.

1 Like

Boebert supports shooting undocument/illegal immigrants with tanks.

Also clearly does not stand with Ukraine and NATO.

3 Likes

Seems like Trump wants McCarthyesque purges, starting with schools:

1 Like

Slippery slope into a Pol-Pot-esque situation…

4 Likes

Or at least Stalinesque:

2 Likes

Well, there IS a McCarthy supposedly running Congress…

2 Likes

Trump trying to get traction by out DeSantis-ing DeSantis on an issue that DeSantis already owns.

Sad.

1 Like

2 Likes

Good thing I’m listing the source, or you wouldn’t even believe a Republican said this

From Trump Warns Of World War III And Announces Plan To Build ‘Impenetrable Dome’ | HuffPost Latest News

If he could have built a wall to keep people out, why not a dome to keep missiles out? Would it also stop climate change?

Scary McCarthyesque stuff. This is getting close to “Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?” Seems to be a resurgence in commie baiting in today’s GOP.

Not as absurd as the previous one I quoted, but I’m still glad I have a source to prove it:

From Trump Hits the 2024 Campaign Trail With an Assault on … Windmills? – Rolling Stone

Trump called for the creation of a “new credentialing body” that would “certify teachers who embrace patriotic values”

This reminds me of DeSantis appointing six new members to the New College of Florida board of trustees.

DeSantis also wants to “abolish ‘diversity, equity, and inclusion’ and replace it with ‘equality, merit, and colorblindness,’ restructure the academic departments to reflect the new pedagogical approach, hire new faculty with expertise in constitutionalism, free enterprise, civic virtue, family life, religious freedom, and American principles Establish a graduate school for training teachers in classical education.”

These go together well. The re-imagined NCF would not only graduate teachers, those teachers would also come with a “Patriotic Teacher Certificate”. Right wing school boards around FL or the US could confidently hire these teachers knowing they would only teach the Right Things.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 9.30.40 PM

Numerous other responses to his tweet making exactly the same point.

I assume he’s attempting to invoke a metaphor… he does specify missile defense shield. That said, it’s risky to give Trump the benefit of the doubt.

He’s no doubt repeating something he heard that he doesn’t really understand.

Didn’t Reagan or GHWB already try something like that?

GWB / Congress passed a retroactive tax cut that resulted in most Americans getting $300 checks in the mail in the late summer / early fall 2001 (pre 9/11… just).

IIRC nearly all Republicans voted for it and a non-trivial minority of Democrats did too. Nearly all (or maybe all?) of the no votes were Democrats, but by today’s standards it had bipartisan support.

I was talking about the missile defense thing.

Oh, haha, my bad. Yes, that was a Reagan-era thing, primarily.

(I was mixing up threads … thought we were talking about stimulus / throwing money from helicopters.)