Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Senator Medicare Fraud compares Social Security to Alcoholism.

1 Like

Meh… that’s a pretty old joke.

James Garner’s character makes that joke in the movie “My Fellow Americans”, as an example (not about Social Security… about being a Republican), but still…

And I’d heard it in various contexts long before that movie… it’s just an example that immediately sprang to mind.

It wasn’t funny then. Hasn’t gotten funnier with time. And coming from the largest Medicare Fraud participant in history it’s quite rich. Amazing how Rick Scott is in the Senate and not Federal Penitentiary.

2 Likes

Funny or not it’s still a pretty “meh” comment IMO.

Which does not in any way remotely excuse any of Rick Scott’s actions.

Tony Dungy has apparently fallen for the schools accommodating furries thing rather than schools preparing for active shooter drills

1 Like

I’d like to think that he deleted it because he realized he’d been duped, but you never know…

Funny how many Republicans have been duped by that one in the past three years.

2 Likes

Michael Steele, former head of the RNC to Marjorie Taylor Greene (reported in Huffpost)

Not a “darnedest” statement by Steele, but “darnedest” that he had to explain it to a congress critter.

And “stop with the stupid” to MTG warrants a :tup:

5 Likes

Several from Huffpost (which I only ready when it shows up in my Yahoo or Apple news feed)

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.50.59 AM

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.50.07 AM

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.50.23 AM

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.50.33 AM

1 Like

This might belong in the occasionally conservatives say something smart thread.

1 Like

Pink Floyd updated their profile picture to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of Dark Side of the Moon. The replies are amazing

5 Likes

Isn’t there a rainbow on the cover of Dark Side of the Moon? Is that the joke? I might be a little slow on the uptake.

They’all were OK with the “rainbow” on the cover of “The Dark Side of The Moon” all these years?

But, stupid look imo. Nice try, but fails.

(Also, AI, there is a “The” in the title.)

This is the original album cover in 1973

2 Likes

I wonder what today’s Republican Party would make of Arnold Layne

1 Like

Former poster 2pac is likely off the rails hearing this from his idol
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1616607063932534784?t=7ooxspaukgN7OW2CPKoN2A&s=19

3 Likes

Putting it here since it’s about a Republican saying the darnedest things, even though this is what a Democrat said, and is fine in context.

Representative Bill Foster (D-IL), an award-winning physicist who holds a PhD from Harvard, trolled Santos today in a way that powerfully demonstrated the current difference between the two parties. In response to the news that House speaker Kevin McCarthy has put Santos on the House Science Committee, Foster tweeted: “As the only recipient of the Wilson Prize for High-Energy Particle Accelerator Physics serving in Congress, it can get lonely. Not anymore!.. I’m thrilled to be joined on the Science Committee by my Republican colleague Dr. George Santos, winner of not only the Nobel Prize, but also the Fields Medal—the top prize in Mathematics—for his groundbreaking work with imaginary numbers.”

9 Likes

(This and the prior post, not explicitly quoting but it was a quote, are from Heather Cox Richardson)

“(Background:}” and “(Darnedest and Context:)” added by me.

Lynette “Diamond” Hardaway, who popularly backed Trump along with her sister, died earlier this month at the age of 51. Trump spoke at the service. Lynette “Diamond” Hardaway, who popularly backed Trump along with her sister, died earlier this month at the age of 51.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 9.20.36 AM

I might be wrong here, but I’m guessing most of the Proud Boys, especially those who would author a manual for them, are Republicans.

From my Apple News feed (originally from Rolling Stone), citing their manual: