Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Don’t remember, but it evidently gave this twitter account the jollies

I believe that was when he wore the White Lives Matter tshirt

3 Likes

:woman_facepalming:
Somehow I either didn’t hear about it or forgot about that… most likely the latter.

Source: Heather Cox Richardson’s “Letters from an American” Dec 1

Sounds exactly like the way Trump would want it promoted.

3 Likes

He’ll be making an announcement in two weeks. It will be the greatest announcement ever.

1 Like

And there will never be an announcement, of course.

Well, let’s see if the GOP is finished having their platform consist only of owning the libs.

There is not snowball’s chance in hell that Trump wants to be nominated for speaker of the house. A majority of the voters would be Republicans, but he would lose. He hates being described as a Loser, but there’s no way he could spin that loss, or blame it on election fraud.

Or possibly he would want to be nominated, and then he withdraw his name before any vote.

1 Like

Makes me wonder how Speaker of The House is determined, and I mean in writing.
I think, without research, that the majority party has a vote for the Speaker, and then there is a vote on the House Floor of all Representatives, in which the majority party all vote for their pick, and that person is chosen because that party has the majority.
Hey, I was right!

But the job sounds like a lot more work than someone like Trump would want to do. If he were Speaker, I’m guessing he’d make his lap dog McCarthy do all the work, while he spoke at rallies across the country.

Unlikely you are right. “the majority party all vote for their pick”? I don’t think so. Most likely but not definitely that person will win.

I just checked wiki. It’s on the internet. Perhaps you’ve heard of the internet?

There is always a possibility of several votes occurring before a nominee gets a majority. There has not been one in 100 years.
Also, anyone not voting for their party’s nominee gets sent to the dog house.
Bolded parts mine:

Representatives who choose to vote for someone other than their party’s nominated candidate usually vote for someone else in their party or vote “present”. Anyone who votes for the other party’s candidate would face serious consequences, as was the case when Democrat James Traficant voted for Republican Dennis Hastert in 2001 (107th Congress). In response, the Democrats stripped him of his seniority and he lost all of his committee posts.[[9]](Speaker of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia)

To be elected speaker, a candidate must receive a majority of the votes cast. If no candidate wins a majority, the roll call is repeated until a speaker is elected.[7] Multiple roll calls have been necessary only 14 times (out of 126 speakership elections) since 1789; and not since 1923 (68th Congress), when a closely divided House needed nine ballots to elect Frederick H. Gillett speaker.[1] Upon winning election the new speaker is immediately sworn in by the dean of the United States House of Representatives, the chamber’s longest-serving member.[10][11]

Yes. In fact, if you’ve heard of Wikipedia, it says in 2001 a Democrat did vote for a Republican. It also suggests that in multiple roll calls have been necessary 14 times (not since 1923), so there is some precedent for people not voting for their party’s candidate.

What Wikipedia didn’t say, when I checked, is whether “the majority party all vote for their pick” as you said. Clearly not in 1923 and 13 other times, nor in 2001. But quite possibly speakers have won since 1923 without unanimous support from their party.

I could provide internet sources that indentify some Republican representatives who have said they will not vote for McCarthy for Speaker.

I think you guys are talking past each other and conflating “normal” SOTH votes with a hypothetical 2023 SOTH vote. Normally the votes are straight party line votes, and exceptions are rare. But 2023 is likely to be one of those rare exceptions.

I assume that if Trump were to agree to being considered for SOTH it would be with the idea of simultaneously impeaching Biden & Harris so he could be POTUS that way. I’m not sure how he’s deluding himself into thinking that the Senate would go along with that.

Well, they do, in practice. Correct, it is not a requirement, but the threat of dog house gets people on the “right” path.
Don’t get all twig on me. (Love ya, twig!)
And, I hope there is some contention. The GOP is in flux. Since Trump did not deliver enough in the midterm (did not win the Senate, barely squeaked a majority in the House), it needs to decide whether to keep kissing his ass, or become a party that has a platform other than “own the libs.” McCarthy seems to be an “own the libs” kind of guy.

I think he’d simply keep bringing it up to a vote, because he got impeached more times than any other president. Just needs Biden to get to three in the next two years, then he can own him in the 2024 election.
cuz he’s a baby.

1 Like

I am just taking issue with the claim of “all”, which does not even apply to normal SOTH votes.

Assuming 2020 was reasonably normal, one Democrat (Lamb) voted for Jeffries. One Democrat (Golden) voted for Tammy Duckworth. Pelosi still won, and I am not questioning that the Republican nominee will win this time.

This is Wikipedia’s report on the 2019 voting

You win.

1 Like

That’s interesting, as it points out that voting for someone not actually in the house is certainly not unheard of. 4 representatives did it in that vote alone.