Random Thoughts

GoActuary only has so much server space, and I only have so much time. If we’re going down that road, I should nitpick the shit out of Fox’s Tornado! [intended to jump the gun on Twister, was passable until about the last 35 minutes when it went to Sharknado territory], and mercilessly rip Into the Storm [which arguably could open the door for a “found footage” tornado-themed disaster, but that requries someone with imagination grounded in reality to write a script - something that I’ve concluded doesn’t exist in Hollywood, based on the last 15 years of movies].

Walmart tried charging me the whole milk price for the 2% I was buying, an extra quarter.
I went back to check the price, and when I confirmed I was right, I removed all the price tickets and showed them to an employee. The employee told me I wasn’t supposed to mess with them, but I said I WILL mess with them when they are incorrect and you are defrauding your customers.

I know what the insurance department can do if we mischarge by a dollar. Who’s there to keep Walmart accountable, I’ll bet their errors are much worse by comparison?

1 Like

I’m confused. Did you not request a price check?

Is there a weights and measures department in your state government? You can also search for price verification as another term for it. My spouse worked in retail management and incorrect charging was a thing they could get heavily fined for.

ETA: my spouse says to bring it to the manager’s attention first so they can fix it, before going to weights and measures.

1 Like

Many states have treble damages or whatever for incorrect scans. There are some people who thrive on catching places like home depot or others w a trillion skus on the shelf to collect damages.

Just got 10 bucks off at the depot. Researched the item online, but wanted to hold it I hand before deciding. One sticker (same SKU) showed 10 less than another, so they gave the lower price. Score!

2 Likes

I think we need to stop using people’s titles (like Senator, Ambassador, etc) after they no longer serve in that office or role. Even Maestro. Once you are out, regular forms of address.

4 Likes

Hmm, the Chinese restaurant overcharges me by $0.70 every time. Food wasn’t ready when I picked up today, so I added up the price of everything we ordered again to make sure I had current prices and yep… $0.70 too much. Don’t feel like arguing though.

The one that gets me is when I order $60 of stuff from the grocery store and then so much stuff is out of stock that the total ends up being $34.98 which is less than $35 so they tack on a $5 pickup fee. They’ll refund it if you call and complain, but that’s a hassle. It’s not my fault you can’t keep stuff in stock.

2 Likes

2 Likes

GoA is pretty quiet today. You all putting the finishing touches on your annual statements? …NY Supp? CFT?

I’m putting my finishing touché on my annual tax statement

1 Like

Dealing with contractor emergencies plus busy season at work plus now I need to buy stuff for the house. :grimacing:

But the basement is done except for a few paint touch ups. And it’s awesome. Love the carpet, love the paint.

Still organizing stuff down there, but we will have a nice place to sit and enjoy the rest of the Olympics and the Super Bowl while the rest of the house is torn apart, so that is HUGE. Right now all of our living room furniture is in the family room so there was basically nowhere that didn’t suck to just hang out and chill. At least we have a spot now.

Still need to hang pictures, but all in good time.

1 Like

We had a city council election yesterday. My neighbor, a buddy of my husband, ran on a 2nd amendment platform.

Dude, it’s City Council, not the Supreme Court!

He won of course.

1 Like

For some reason, my frequent customer number was converted into scientific notation in an email from the vendor!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Next generation of masking sensitive information

There’s a radio ad that runs very frequently on a local station. It’s for a company that does specialized SEO for personal injury attorneys.

Why? Are there that many PI lawyers that are listening to sports talk radio that need an SEO and would choose one from a radio ad? If you are a SEO company, do clients find you through a radio commercial rather than doing their own web search? I can’t imagine these ads are effective, but given that they run constantly I imagine they have some hit rate.

How smart are “well-established” PI attorney’s? How many of these are likely to listen to “old-school” forms of entertainment/infotainment?

Maybe the SEO made an “exchange of service” with the radio station?

So one of the local PI attorneys that is big into advertising has grown a large business, enough so that the ubiquity of his billboards and commercials are regional memes and jokes. Based on what he does, as well as talks he has given about business strategies for PI lawyers, he views saturation as key. I haven’t seen his number on the billboard. How do people find him when they need him? Probably a search. A smaller fish is going to want to lever his advertising to draw clients.

Yes, here PI attorneys like billboards, commercials, and banners on buses a lot. The main interstate routes are full of PI billboards.

Is sold a virtual insurance agency a few years ago. Coming home from up north, I see they’ve now got a billboard advertising it. It’s in a major highway (the 400).
That’s fine, but the billboard has a monkey and a banana in it, with something about insurance being so easy a monkey could do it. My gawd, what have you done with the company that I built.

6 Likes