Random Thoughts

I just got some famitidine for acid reflux. Wow, this stuff is cheap. After the “provider discount” I am paying less than one cent per tablet.

three teeth in a row, one has a cavity, two look like they need crowns or something. Should be a fun morning at the dentist.

IFYP (although, is thoroughly pronounced thoreua-ly, or thuruh-ly?)

1 Like

I just learned that if you leave pumpkins outside, the squirrels will eat them (though I think this is the first year I’ve seen it…).

So you suspected that something was rotten in the state of Denmark

Getting a little better at timing the microwave popcorn to achieve that ideal balance of not scorching but not getting too many flopcorns.

On multiple occasions I’ve had to tell the wife to monitor the microwave/oven and not just blindly trust the temperature/time setting on the box…

Our microwave does popcorn great. Rarely more than several unpopped kernels. At least with the Newman’s Own lightly salted bags.

I very rarely make microwave popcorn. I like to make popcorn in the large stock pot so I can make lots of it at the same time. I have not reached the master level which was performed by the father of a friend from HS. He could pop a pound bag of corn in one batch pouring off the popped kernels while popping the rest.

That is impressive.

I make 1/3 cup at a time in a cast iron frying pan (with a lid.) I use a tasty oil. It’s great.

In a former office building, the company provided free microwave popcorn. The microwave had a ‘popcorn’ button that was calibrated about 22 seconds too long. At some point a sign appeared saying ‘reminder: the popcorn button on the microwave is a guideline, not a guarantee’

Popping microwave popcorn in the office at all is a bit rude. Burning it is downright evil.

Babied my apple tree this year. Sprayed it routinely, fertilizer, etc. Apple’s were coming along nicely. I was going to make apple pies today with my so.

Went out yesterday and the tree is bare. Not an apple left. Who the heck steals every apple off a tree from a suburban yard?

Squirrels.

Deer can’t reach the ones up high, but squirrels do. Of course, they start taking them when the apples get to be ~5cm, and they often leave apple cores at the bottom of the oak trees. So if you haven’t seen any theft until today, it probably wasn’t squirrels. But that’s who steals most or all of my apples every year.

(A young bear will also climb the tree and might take all the apples, but you’d probably see claw marks if that’s what happened.)

It’s not squirrels. I checked on the weekend, had a full crop of apples. Looked yesterday and there’s zero. I’m confident it’s a person. I originally thought it was kids but given they took everything and left no sign, I’m thinking it’s an adult that decided to harvest my tree. Kids doing it, I get. Adults, I’m baffled.

My SO had a strawberry plant a couple ofyears ago, hung it on our deck. the squirrels ate the hell out of those. they’d climb a tree, onto the roof, down onto the first story, jump onto the railing, steal the berries, then jump onto the deck and away. I watched them do it a couple of times. Quite a round trip.

We also had a cherry tree (that eventually died). Got a full crop of cherries growing and then the cedar waxwings (birds) moved in and in 2 days the whole tree was stripped. Beautiful birds, so worth the loss of the fruit.

Wow. You have a really shitty neighbor. That’s all I can say.

And in the spirit of random thoughts, the apple tree is somewhat personal to me. Back when I was in HS in the 80’s, my best friends girlfriend lived on the farm where the McIntosh apple originated. And there were McIntosh trees everywhere in the area. So I plant McIntosh apples because of the connection to her and my HS years.

Hadn’t seen buddy’s GF in 35 years, but recently reconnected. That’s an ongoing saga that’d fill a book lol.

I found you guys!!!

2 Likes

Dammit. Now we are all ‘it’ and YOU have to hide.

1…2…3…4…

1 Like

Time to get an applecam