Random Thoughts

Yes. And it’s really dangerous.

1 Like

I remember in the miniseries North and South (the one in England, not the Civil War one) one of the cotton mill owners mentions that his employees complained that if he put a fan in to help remove the cotton fluff in the air so the employees wouldn’t breathe it in, then he’d have to pay them more because they’d have to eat more because they wouldn’t have as much cotton in their stomachs.

I honestly wonder if someone watched that and thought “what a brilliant idea… I’ll just eat some cotton and it will make me feel full!”

I mean the point was that he was exploiting his workers by not installing a simple fix to make the mill safer, but I could see someone having the opposite takeaway.

I fully expect that in two years time we’ll be treated to a disclaimer before streaming that episode of the miniseries “don’t intentionally eat cotton to lose weight, mmmkay?”

It’s a bold strategy, Cotton

3 Likes

It takes balls to pull it off, but does it lead to fluffheads?

2 Likes

You might have to be a fluffhead to try it!

1 Like

It could result in a real clusterfluff

2 Likes

One of my favorite Michael-insults-Toby (first ten seconds): The Office VS Corporate | The Office US | Comedy Bites - YouTube

1 Like

My favorite was ‘I hate so much about the things that you choose to be,’ not so much because it’s a great insult, but because of the lead-up. It’s a line I quote frequently.

1 Like

With interest rates being what they are, it’s almost worth it to not fund my checking account with the minimum balance & instead put that money into a savings account. :thinking:

Sometimes when my dog is being very needy and wanting attention, I think of my college aged self and cringe.

2 Likes

aren’t your accounts linked? So you would only need a minimum across all accounts

Possibly…I don’t think so, though.

Minimum balance is for suckers - bank fees are almost nonexistent with my online Schwab account

Did you ever try this? I picked some up at Costco this week, haven’t opened yet.

Not yet, let me know. I’m still… maybe 3-4 weeks away from needing mayo.

1 Like

Our older son told us yesterday that he feels gender fluid. He still wants to be referred to a he, he doesn’t want to go by another name, but he doesn’t always feel like a boy. He doesn’t want to make a big deal about it or talk about it extensively, just wanted us to know. He doesn’t always feel like he “fits” anywhere.

I’m not surprised. He has never fit most molds, and we have never pushed him to.

I would guess that he might be feeling gender creative vs gender fluid (which he may very well be), but I’m not going to try to tell him what he is feeling, just giving him the space and support to figure it out. I wonder how puberty is going to affect him. I hope we have a few more years before that.

7 Likes

how old is he?

how did you respond?

He’s ten. We responded by listening and asking a few questions and finding out how we could support him, and stopping the conversation when he wanted to. We will circle back after a short time to see how he feels about therapy as he is figuring things out. We had been discussing therapy for other reasons anyhow.

I was not at all prepared, despite all my gender affirming training through my fostering agency and all the personal work I have done to be a supportive person. I am sure I didn’t totally nail it, but I don’t think I completely failed at it, either.

5 Likes

i am positive you did better than you think you did.

The support matters, not the specific words.

2 Likes