Random Thoughts

Eh, probably, let’s say yes.

I just got a package from “them” today, too. I couldn’t figure out why we were getting accutane until it arrived.

1 Like

Not remotely close

1 Like

Haha good. Although I find anyone who uses “Power Nap” to be pretty sus. A nap is at least two hours long.

1 Like

rarely do i nap more than 1 hour.

i have power napped, mostly if not feeling well at work, 20 - 30 mins

When I do take a nap, it’s typically 15 minutes to one hour. If I am just running a little light on sleep from the night before, a 20 minute nap can help re-energize me. If I slept for many hours in the middle of the day, my sleep cycle would be severely off. That might happen once in a great while when I’m really sick, but I wouldn’t sleep 2+ hours in the middle of the day otherwise.

FWIW I don’t watch golf on TV, I don’t own a recliner, and I like to take my naps in bed.

In college I got pretty good at the 15-20 minute naps, and they seemed to help a lot.

Now, if I nap in a bed, it will be several hours. In a chair it’s usually less than an hour.

I have other things I need to do in those several hours, so I opt for the chair.

1 Like

I learned to “power nap” in the military. The essence of it was getting good down time while a small part is aware enough to know that someone is coming toward you that your name (or group’s name) is called.

Unsure if someone forgot our zoom meeting or they’re running late.

2 Likes

Why Not Both Take Both GIF - Why Not Both Why Not Take Both - Discover & Share GIFs

I did not forget. It should have been an email.:dog:

4 Likes

Radio silence from the other person.

A gallon of gas contains about 33kwh of energy.

The Tesla Model Y has a 75kwh battery, and does about 300 miles on a charge, per the EPA estimate. It varies by model but same idea.

I get why, but I’d never done the math until today, and it kind of blew my mind.

so, roughly equivalent to 130 miles / gallon of gas?

300 miles / 75 kwh = 4 mi/kwh

4 mi/kwh * (33 kwh / 1 g) = 132 mi/g

Let’s factor in “recharge time” into that equation.

How far can you go in an 8 hour travel time period assume that both are travelling at the same speed(s)?

1 Like

I like using the phrase “by inspection”

My Civic can do 30/40mpg, so I would need 7.5-10 gallons do go 300 miles. 7.5-10 gallons x 33 kwh = 247.5 - 330 Kwh. The tesla consumes 75 kwh to go the same distance, so it is 3.3x - 4.4x more efficient ? If you wanted to take that analysis further one could estimate the effort it takes to produce 7.5 gallons of gas vs one full battery of electricity.

Yeah, the EPA has their whole MPGe thing that does similar math, I think???

2 Likes

EVs will generally lose on an 8-hour trip. Charging just isn’t that fast - at least not yet. If you do a lot of road trips, an EV will cost ya some time.

There is a different metric of ‘how many hours per year spent fueling’ that’s likely much closer. It’ll take me 20 seconds to plug in my Tesla once a week, so I suspect EVs do pretty well on this metric.

Yeah, when I had that thought I was just amazed at the implication: EVs have crazy efficiency.

But the larger picture would include the generation of the energy. Coal is only about 35% efficient (65% of the energy is lost as heat), and I’m glad it’s dying. Nat gas is more like 45% efficient, better. Wind and solar don’t really consume anything but ‘free’ energy. They do require energy to build and maintain, of course.

And, for gas, it also takes energy to extract, refine, and transport the gasoline. It seems there isn’t a hard number but I’m seeing estimates that center around 6-8kwh per gallon of gas. A Model Y will travel 24-32 miles on the energy required to produce a gallon of gas. Someone check my math, I’m multitasking.