Random Thoughts

No, my data quality is GREAT, why do you ask?

iferror

2 Likes

Just IM’d my marketing person this:

It’s not all work around here lol.

1 Like

On the iPhone, DiscourseHub app, there’s (usually) a counter that tells you where you are in the thread. Clicking on that will give you the option you desire.

I hear what people are saying, but it doesn’t seem to work the same on my iMac, Here’s another shot of what I see:

There is a scroll bar on the right If I grab it (left click, holding down), I can scroll down, but not very far. When I get to the bottom of the current screen, the bar jumps back up (to roughly where it is in this shot), separate from the mouse pointer location. I don’t have to grab the bar, but I do have to move the mouse to below the bar, which only moves down the screen down about another inch. Lather, rinse, repeat. Many many times.

As to whether I’m seeing the counter showing me where I am? Probably, or if not exactly the same thing you’re describing, functionally the same. I can see, in the screen shot at the right, what post number Tommie Frazier’s is, out of how many posts in the thread.

If this were (was?) a “pc” instead of a Mac, I would suggest ctrl+end.

Also, with my mouse, I’m able to grab that slider that currently says “117/458” (the thick part of it not the skinny part” and slide it all the way down…being careful to “let go” when I m at the bottom.

Thanks. That explains it. I have two sliders available. One to the far right of the screen. That’s the one I had been grabbing. It also seemed confusing, compared to the reports, since the counter appeared to be associated with posts, not the slider. You and others wanted me to grab a slider that is to the left of the post count. Yes, that one will let me scroll continuously to the top or bottom. The one to the far right does change where I am in the thread, and does change the post counter, but may be part of the iMac or safari, not part to go actuary

1 Like

As to the other thought I had yesterday, no mention of the fighter jet incident in the Philadelphia paper today. I looked at several online accounts, not learning much. One definite thing I learned: the unauthorized plane was only in a “Temporary Restricted Zone” thus (IMO) greatly increasing the chance that pilot had no idea he was doing anything wrong. I’m still not sure whether it was a single fighter jet or more than one. (Sources are consistent that Biden was in Wilmington. I personally saw one jet about 25 miles north of Wilmington. At least two sources said one jet was dispatched to shoo the intruder away. Some article headlines referred to “jets”.)

1 Like

Right— the far right one is your normal “windows” slider. The one you have now discovered is the “GoA slider “

That’s weird… when I’m on a PC and I use the scroll bar it moves very quickly… almost too quickly if I’m not actually trying to get to the very end or very beginning. (It’s not bad, but it covers a little too much ground for my liking.)

You’re talking about clicking on the little thing to the left of where it says 117/458, right? Not the browser’s scroll bar, but the one that’s part of the Discourse web page?

My phone also has a “jump to” option where you can type in the post number or the date that you want to jump to. I assume that’s an option on the full computer version as well.

Scroll button, scroll button

1 Like

You can also click on the arrow next to the bell on the right for a generic reply if that’s the only reason you’re scrolling to the bottom.

1 Like

not that I could ever find

1 Like

Oh, I just realized something, if you click on the time since last post underneath the post count, it will jet you to the bottom.

1 Like

I agree. Don’t see anything like that.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what I had in mind.

Yes, I think each time my intent was to post, but that would accomplish it, too.

1 Like

The 538 Riddler puzzle this week is about whole numbers that sum to 2023.

So to clarify (because it impacts my potential puzzle answers) a “whole number” is a non-negative integer?

So -7 is not a whole number? The puzzle is much more fun and challenging if negative integers are considered “whole numbers.” But if “whole numbers” are 0 and positive integers only, the puzzle is kinda “meh”.

You are correct. Zero + positive integers = whole numbers.

just wondering, but shouldn’t Canada have Christmas a month before the US?

1 Like

Canada is a big place, and parts are much closer to the North Pole than the contiguous 48 states are, but Santa should not need a full month from his first Canada stop to his first US stop.

1 Like