Random Thoughts

Why does triple have only one ‘p’ but nipple has two 'p’s?

If there were any logic to the English language, triple would have three 'p’s.

so would nipple is you were Chandler from Friends

Summary

YARN | You have a third nipple? | Friends (1994) - S02E04 ...

In eighth grade, my daughter did a “science experiment” in observing classmates eating a brownie that she and her classmate made.

The quirk: they used baker’s chocolate and no sugar (remaining ingredients as listed in the recipe).

Results:
Girls: generally took a small, cautious bite and were polite about how it tasted

Guys: generally took a normal or big bite . . . and then immediately spit it out in a garbage can and called it “terrible”

2 Likes

English language logic: There are three p’s; but two are silent invisible and take up no character space.

And one is upside down, another backwards, and yet another both upside down and backwards.

My son’s junior high choir concert tonight was titled “A Night of Silence”

It was the name of their closing number, and the song was fine, but that’s a really weird thing to call a choir concert.

1 Like

And really sets up the one liners/insults if the choir is bad

Makes me think of the logic of “The Little Drummer Boy” as a Christmas carol. Because that’s what Mary needed in the middle of the night with a new baby: A drum solo. :man_facepalming:

I have a zero tolerance policy towards zero tolerance policies.

1 Like

Oh yeah?

Well . . . I have a policy to not adhere to any policies.

Back at the U, economics professor (who was not quite familiar with everything-USA nor everything-USA-politics) thought that “GOP” stood for “Government Opposition Party” and noted the contradiction of how the GOP wanted to be in charge of the government.

I made the news!

At 40 seconds left in the video, that’s me driving the U-Haul!

5 Likes

It appears that iPhone allows you to leave three minute voice mail messages.

for those under forty

A voice mail message is where you call someone’s phone, they don’t answer, you may hear a human or computer generated message followed by an elongated beep, then you, the caller, start talking, leaving your message, which the recipient has the ability to listen to at a later time.

1 Like

1 Like

A thought I’ve had many time before: is there an easy way to get to the end of a thread? For when you want to make a new post in the thread but don’t want to reply to any specific earlier post.

And now my new random thought. Or maybe not really random, since definitely in reaction to something that happened rather than a “popped into my head”.

Lots of very loud noise overhead this morning. Turned out to be a fighter jet, making several passes.

Explanation on noon news today: scrambled by NORAD because a general aviation plane had entered restricted airspace in Wilmington DE this morning, while Biden was there. We’re about 25 miles from Wilmington as the crow flies (or as the jet fighter flies, quickly), so there may have been many more closer to Wilmington.

Not a lot of details on the noon news, except the suggestion that it was just an innocent mistake. I’ll look for more in the news tomorrow or online.

I just click on the post numbers in the bottom right and a vertical slider appears that will let you scroll to the bottom of the thread. That’s on my phone. Not sure if it’s the same on all devices

1 Like

This is the screen on my iPad:

I don’t know about the “post numbers in the bottom right”. There is a scroll bar, but it typically only advance about 4 posts if I drag it from the top to the bottom. Good (and I’ve used it, eg. in Wordle) if I’m near the end. Terrible if I found the thread via Search, and it opens at the top of a long thread.

Where’s @ao_fan when we need her?

On the right theres a number of posts in the thread. Click on that, it gives you a scroll bar…

Mine lets you scroll all the way from top to bottom.

1 Like